Hemifacial spasm is a disorder of the nervous system wherein the muscles on one side of the face involuntarily keep twitching and going in to spasms. Botox injections, homeopathy as well as acupuncture help deal with the condition successfully.
Early signs and symptoms of hemifacial spasm include:
- Twitching of one eyelid; also, it could pull the eye shut and cause lachrymation.
- Spasms along one side of your face, affecting the mouth.
- Alteration in your hearing – buzzing, ringing, reduced hearing
- Pain behind the ear.
- Larger spasms from eye to chin.
What Are The Causes Of Hemifacial Spasm?
The causes of hemifacial spasm include:
- Facial nerve compression by a mass
- Vascular compression
- Brainstem lesions
- Multiple sclerosis
- Bell’s palsy
When the facial nerve gets irritated, it leads to hyper-excitability of the facial nerve nucleus; this sets off the rhythmic involuntary myoclonic contractions that are seen in hemifacial spasm.
Compressive lesions such as a tumor mass or arterio-venous malformation and non compressive lesions such as stroke, multiple sclerosis, or basilar meningitis present as hemifacial spasm.
Natural Treatment For Hemifacial Spasm
- Botulinum injections: Your health care provider will inject the botulinum toxin into the afflicted muscles of your face; this will paralyze the muscles for the time being.
- Your doctor will also give you anti-convulsant drugs, to allay the hemifacial spasm. Drugs such as – carbamazepine and benzodiazepines are given for non compressive lesions. They are also prescribed in those who do not want botox injections. Compressive lesions need to be treated surgically. Micro-vascular decompression surgery may be effective for those who fail to respond to botox.
- Micro-vascular decompression surgery: Your surgeon will expose the facial nerve as it leaves the brainstem. He will locate the blood vessel impinging on or irritating the facial nerve and will place a sponge-like material between the nerve and blood vessel, to eliminate the pressure on the nerve. This surgery provides immense relief.
- Acupuncture: Acupuncture will help allay the discomfort and the twitching appreciably. Local points, i.e. those which are situated in the affected area of your face, are usually used in acupuncture’s management of facial paralysis and twitching. Also, points related to the gall bladder and liver are made use of too. Schedule appointments with your acupuncture therapist and see how the therapy is helping you.
- Foods that are loaded with potassium, magnesium and calcium help deal with facial spasm successfully. Talk to your doctor and start supplements for these minerals.
- Vitamin B complex helps calm the nervous system. Step up your intake of vitamin B rich foods. Green leafy vegetables, spinach, bananas, oats, liver, eggs, potatoes, cereals and grains, are foods that you should regularly eat. Furthermore, you could start a vitamin B supplement as well.
- Massage therapy: Massage relieves strained and fatigued muscles. Schedule 5 to 10 sessions with a good masseur.
- Herbs: St. John’s Wort, Chamomile or passion flower are effective in nerve-related disorders. An herbal tea made from these prepared will sooth the strained nerves and minimize the twitching.
- Steer clear of – chocolate, coffee, and tea; these are known to aggravate the twitches.
- Rest: Get adequate rest. Sleeping regularly for 7 to 8 hours will help decrease the twitching significantly.