What Are Hiccups
Hiccups are a repetitive involuntary twitching of the muscle of the diaphragm due to certain reasons. As air rushes quickly into the lungs, the vocal cords are hit so that these make a “hic” sound. Although there are hiccup episodes that can be considered as mere annoyances, there are also others that are already very bothersome. These occurrences are usually those that already last for hours or days.
Chronic hiccups have to be treated medically to prevent other complications from developing in the patient. In these cases, it is very beneficial if the patient knows of some home remedies that could help stop hiccup attacks. This is not only useful to stop the current attack but also the ones that could come in the future.
Home Remedies to Treat Hiccups
Here are some of the home remedies that the patient can use against hiccup attacks:
- Although there is no known scientific explanation for this remedy for hiccup, it is known to work nonetheless. Suck on a sugar cube or eat a spoonful of sugar to stop hiccup attack.
- Take in tiny sips of water before gulping them down as quickly as possible. The trick to this is to sip in rapid succession so that the patient would feel as if the water is about to get out of his/her nostrils.
- Take several gulps of air. This will make the patient burp and possibly stop the hiccups.
- Place a small ice bag on top of the diaphragm to slow down its jerks and movements.
- Hold breath for as long as possible.
- Drink a tall glass of water without stopping. Then, hold breath and try to close the nose using the fingers. Do this for a few times or until the hiccups are gone.
- Drink several glasses of water as tolerable.
- Relax and try to think of things other than the hiccups. Yoga is a good sport and exercise to pursue in those who are constantly experiencing hiccups.
- Suck in the stomach for as long as possible for about 10 seconds. Then, release the air very quickly.
Exercises For Hiccups
Anti-gravity exercises are said to be very effective in treating hiccups. These can be done by standing on the head. This is achieved by positioning self in a way that the head is on the floor and the feet are way up in the air.