Human beings have a normal pulse rate of 60 to 100 beats per minute (BPM) when awake but at rest. When sleeping, this pulse rate drops to 40 BPM. Now, if the patient has more than 100 BPM even at rest, he/she is considered to have a high pulse rate. Having a high pulse rate is termed as tachycardia.
High Pulse Rate Causes
There could be a number of reasons why high pulse rates occur. These can be classified into temporary and long-term causes.
- Temporary causes of high pulse rate
- Vitamin deficiencies
- Intake of stimulating substances. This includes coffee, tea, tobacco, etc.
- Eating a particularly heavy meal. This is the reason why it is not a good idea to eat a heavy meal during dinner as the heart beat is supposed to slow down while sleeping.
- Emotional stress, anxiety, fear, nervousness
- Certain medications
- Physical exertion
- Long-term or chronic causes of high pulse rate
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) or emphysema
- Thyroid malfunction
- High blood pressure
- Heart diseases
- Coronary heart diseases
- Faulty heart valves
- Faulty upper heart chamber
What is Considered a High Pulse Rate
- As already mentioned above, a high pulse rate is that which is over 100 BPM.
- This could be just temporary and was only brought about by a certain condition.
- However, this can also be on a long term basis, brought about by certain medical conditions.
- Also, people who have had a heart attack are more prone to having constant high pulse rates than those who haven’t.
Natural Treatment for High Pulse Rate
To treat high pulse rate, there is no need to drink synthetic medications. In fact, there are a number of natural home remedies that can be used to correct this problem. Some of these options are:
- Garlic. It is sometimes considered a wonder drug in that it can cure a variety of ailments. Aside from helping manage high pulse rates, it is also good for lowering bad cholesterol levels, destroying plaque, and preventing blood clots.
- Foods high in starches and fibers. Instead of eating high fat foods, these items should be prioritized:
- Beans and peas
- Whole grain cereals
- Exercise. This is one of the best natural treatments to correct a number of ailments.