Walnut is a source of protein and Omega-3 fatty acids. Besides this it is a rich source of fiber, magnesium and vitamin B complex. Persian walnut is famous for its immense nutritive value.
Walnut allergy is most common in early age of the child like many other nut allergies. Though some children outgrow walnut allergy symptoms, few of them continue to have it in adulthood.
Eating walnut can be dangerous for those who are allergic to it. Walnut allergy symptoms can vary from person to person. Some may have walnut allergy after its touch, some may have due to its smell or few of them may have walnut allergy after eating it.
Symptoms of Walnut Allergy
Allergic reaction can occur few minutes after eating walnut or after some time.
- Rash on skin.
- Burning sensation on the skin.
- Vesicular eruptions.
- Skin itching.
- Running nose.
- Inflamed eye.
- Watering eye.
- Burning in nose.
- Breathing difficulty.
- Cramps in abdomen.
- Swelling of lips and tongue.
- Anaphylactic reaction: symptoms such as low blood pressure, feeble pulse, tingling in tongue, confusion and dizziness, breathlessness, swollen airways and loss of consciousness. It is a serious walnut allergy reaction and needs immediate medical attention.
Walnut allergy rash is a part of other allergic manifestations of walnut. It occurs after eating walnut, or coming in contact with walnut. The symptoms can be mild to moderate. Rash can occur in one part, or all over the body. Burning, itching and warm body are some of its symptoms.
- Avoid eating walnut, check food labels before you purchase food.
- When the symptoms are mild, anti histamines are generally prescribed by your physician.
- In more severe case such as anaphylaxis reaction, your physician may give adrenalin injection and advise hospitalization.
Walnut Allergy Home Remedy
To avoid eating walnut is the best thing, when you know that you are allergic to walnut, you can avail home remedies in case when you eat walnut accidentally and produce symptoms of allergy which are mild.
- In case there is tingling in the mouth and tongue with swelling of tongue, a mouth wash with salt water is beneficial.
- Add one teaspoon of lemon juice in a glass of water, consume it twice in a day. You can add honey for better result. Vitamin C present in lemon juice is effective in boosting the immune system as a whole and reduces the allergic symptoms.
- To cure upset stomach and vomiting, mix one teaspoon of apple cider and one teaspoon of honey in a glass of water and drink it twice in a day. This home remedy is beneficial in all nut allergies.
- Olive oil is another useful home remedy for walnut allergy. Apply it on the skin rash, it soothes the skin and relieves the itching and burning.
- The juice of aloe vera when applied to the affected skin area, relives hives and itching resulting from walnut allergy.
- Prepare a paste of curry leaves and add one teaspoon of honey. This home remedy is useful in diarrhea caused due to walnut allergy.