Indigestion Prevention Measures:
The best means to prevent indigestion is to consume only foods that are soft and easy to digest. This will reduce the amount of work that the digestive tract needs to exert in digesting the food. Moreover, drinking enough water during meals will also facilitate better digestion. However, this advice may not work all the time.
- Sleep with your head at least 6 inches higher than your chest. You can do this by placing an extra pillow beneath your head. This will keep the digestive juices within the stomach and prevent it from going up the esophagus.
- Refrain from lying down right after eating.
- Avoid exercising or any strenuous activity after a meal. It is far better to exercise at least an hour before a meal.
- Reduce alcohol consumption because alcohol can irritate the lining of the stomach.
- In order to avoid from compressing the stomach, avoid wearing tight-fitting garments that restrict the activities in the stomach.
- Cut down on foods with high acid content such as citrus fruits.
- Learn to adapt means to properly cope up with stress. This is important for those wherein stress is a trigger.