Avian flu refers to bird influenza that is caused by viruses that are adapted to bird. The phrase is similar to human flu, swine flu and dog flu; in that, it refers to infection caused by one of the many strains of influenza viruses that have adapted to a particular host.
Companion birds in confinement are not likely to contract the virus, and there hasn’t been any report of a pet bird with avian influenza since 2003. 84 % of the afflicted bird population comprises of chicken, poultry and farm birds, whilst 15 % comprises of wild birds according to capture-and-release procedures during the SARs pandemic.
How Is Avian Or Bird Flu Virus Transmitted?
By and large, human contractions of bird flu are due to handling dead infected birds or because of contact with infected fluids. Most wild birds have only a mild form of the H5N1 strain.
Once domestic birds such as chickens get infected, it could become deadly given that, the birds are in very close proximity with one another.
Although it is rather easy for humans to contract the virus from birds, it is much more difficult to do so from one human to another without close, long term contact.
Natural Remedies For Bird Flu
If people belonging to the high risk group take adequate precautions and are very careful, the chances of contracting the infection will be low, even amongst farmers.
- You need to protect your nose, eyes, mouth and hands from the virus, given that these are the common passageways for entry in the body.
- Always sanitize your hands to further decrease the risk of cross-contamination. Unprotected clothing should also be disinfected.
- Avoid contact with poultry and maintain good personal hygiene.
- Astragalus is an excellent natural medicine to manage as well as prevent bird flu. It is an immune boosting herb which fortifies your body.
- Ginger tea is also greatly recommended by experts. Ginger is packed with gingerols which is a very good anti-inflammatory agent. Ginger battles most symptoms of swine flu successfully; have 2 to 3 glasses of ginger tea for about 2 weeks.
- Echinacea has been used by herbalists as an excellent blood purifier and immune system booster; it is most efficacious when taken in liquid extract form.
- Garlic is a powerful natural medicine with a remarkable capacity to ward against and battle avian flu. It has the most potent anti-viral and anti-biotic properties.
- Forsythia and Honeysuckle have been touted as the most effective natural remedy for swine flu. They are usually mixed with lemon balm, to make a calming tea which helps stave off bird flu symptoms.
- Basil and cardamom have also been recognized as infection fighters. Basil is a potent anti-bacterial whilst cardamom soothes the gastric and respiratory system. Have one glass of basil and cardamom tea for about a week.
- Turmeric is loaded with a compound known as curcumin, which is an anti-inflammatory agent and helps allay fever as well as the other distressing symptoms of the bird flu.
- Olive Leaf extract is a powerful immune system enhancer, it supports the blood and lymphatic systems and is an effective anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal agent.
- Oil of Oregano is an essential oil which has excellent germ-killing properties; it is considered an effective anti-viral treatment for managing and preventing bird flu.