Normally, people go to bed at night and sleep till morning. Those having irregular sleep-wake syndrome suffer from a disturbed sleep pattern which is fragmented and unstructured.
People having irregular sleep-wake syndrome sleep 1 – 4 hours at a time. They have many sessions of sleep in the 24 hour interval. The longest interval of undisturbed and constant sleep is between 2 a.
The circadian rhythm is a physical, mental, and behavioral change in response to light and dark. The body has a 24-hour internal clock which governs the sleep-wake cycle. Melatonin is released by the brain in higher amounts at night, when it is dark; it makes you feel tired and sleepy. It is essential to the proper working of the sleep-wake cycle.
The chief etiological factor of an irregular sleep-wake syndrome is an absence of the circadian rhythm.
Home Remedies To Cure Irregular Sleep-Wake Rhythm
This is what you can do ‘at-home’ to manage the symptoms of an irregular sleep-wake syndrome. If you do not see any respite after 2 to 3 weeks, do visit your health care provider.
Sleeping and waking at random times is definitely not a medical crisis. Sporadically, you could have difficulty sleeping. On the other hand, it can be bothersome if it persists relentlessly, and you may want to confer with a health care provider if you show signs of irregular sleep-wake syndrome on a daily basis. It is of particular importance if you cannot think of any factors that could be the likely cause.
- First and foremost, you need to keep track of your recent sleeping habits. Note down the kind of insomnia/ difficulty sleeping and whether there is excessive sleepiness during the day.
- It is vital to maintain a sleep diary; you need to keep a record of how long you sleep and when you sleep. Visiting a doctor is necessary since they he will keep track of your sleep pattern with an actigraph; a device resembling a watch which tracks the sleep/wake pattern. Your doctor will check 3 cycles of sleeping and waking within a period of 24 hours to come to the correct conclusion.
- To manage your symptoms, you will have to make a few lifestyle alterations; follow a set schedule, eat well, exercise at least thrice a week and incorporate a stress busting technique.
- You need to control exposure to light, you need to be exposed to blue light i.e. T.V. screen or computer screens during the day. The exposure to blue light at night ought to be minimum.
- Talk to your doctor and start a melatonin supplement; it will hasten cure.
- Make your sleep environment as pleasing, relaxed and comfortable.
- Keep the amount of noise in the sleep environment minimum.