Itching in the throat can be attributed to a host of causes, though usually it is due to throat infection. Sore throats or throat infection are more commonly viral in origin, though bacterial infections can also lead to this condition.
Itching in the throat may be associated with other symptoms like hoarseness of voice, pain in the ears, swelling of the surrounding lymph nodes, medium to low grade fever and presence of cough or chest congestion.
What Causes Itching In The Throat?
There are a host of reasons that can lead to itching in the throat. Though in most cases, it is linked with throat infections, the other causes include,
- Breathing through the mouth can lead to dryness of the throat, thereby causing itching. Breathing through the mouth is common especially if the nose is blocked, due to sinusitis or flu.
- Infectious mononucleosis is another condition which is associated with itching in the throat.
- Infection of the tonsils or Adenoids (lymph glands around the throat) can also cause itching in the throat. This is often associated with other systemic symptoms like fever, malaise, stunted growth among children, etc.
- Common cold or streptococcal throat infection can also cause irritation in the throat.
- Post nasal drip, often occurring at night in cases of sinus infection, also lead to itching in the throat.
- Over exertion of the voice box especially following a party can also lead to itching in the throat for a day or two.
- Lodging of a foreign body in the throat or a throat surgery may also be causative factors.
- Allergic conditions can also lead to itching in the throat. Allergies can either be seasonal flu or allergy to something eaten or drunk.
Natural Remedies For Itching In The Throat
In most cases, itching in the throat is a self limiting symptom and resolves without treatment. However here are some treatment options that can provide quick relief and allay some of the distressing symptoms,
- Salt water gargling is a very effective option. Salt water not only has a soothing effect on the throat, but also helps flush out the bacteria and hasten healing.
- Prepare a lemon tea by adding a few drops of freshly squeezed lemon juice and a table spoon of raw honey. Consume this lemon tea when warm. The warm tea triggers blood circulation and hasten healing. Raw honey provides soothing effect and also has strong anti-bacterial properties. Lemon is loaded with Vitamin C which boosts the natural immunity and fights infections.
- Add two tablespoons of turmeric to a glass of warm milk and consume thrice in a day. Turmeric has strong anti-inflammatory properties which can relive throat itching and fight bacterial infection. Warm milk has a soothing effect on the throat.
- Homeopathic drugs namely Causticum and Kali Carb are potent in dealing with itching in the throat associated with sore throat. These drugs should be taken in low potency and repeated about three to four times in a day.
In case the symptoms persist or if symptoms like high grade fever, pus in throat or rash on the skin eventually develop, seek immediate medical attention.