While itchy lips may not be a serious illness, it can cause lot of discomfort. Many people, young or old, suffer from this complaint. The symptoms of itchy lips include puffiness and redness around the lips with constant itching. Some times small blisters may develop around the lips, more so, in a case of an allergic reaction.
Dry and Itchy Lips Cause
- The most important cause for itchy lips is allergy to various substances; ranging from food to cosmetics.
- Vitamin deficiencies are another significant cause, particularly the B group of vitamins.
- Climate changes from hot to cold climates also tend to give you itchy, inflamed lips.
- Certain prescription medicines and certain medical conditions, such as diabetes, or skin conditions such as cheilitis are noteworthy causes as well.
- Atmospheric pollution causes itchy lips too.
- A sting or an insect bite is a cause too.
How to Treat Itchy Lips Using Home Remedies?
There are diverse causes for the occurrence of itchy lips, thus, it is important to ascertain the exact cause and treat it effectively. Prompt treatment is essential to prevent a severe aggravation.
- If the reason for itchy lips is cosmetics, then you ought to discontinue and change the offending cosmetic immediately.
- In case of dry and / or cold weather, keep your skin well moisturized and drink plenty of water to stay well hydrated.
- Whenever you come in, from outdoors, wash your face and lips with plain water; this helps wash off various irritants stuck on your face and lips.
- Ensure that you are eating a well balanced diet. Dietary deficiencies are a significant cause for dryness of the lips. Supplementing your diet with B complex and folic acid is advocated, at least for a month.
- Avoid smoking as tobacco tends to dry the lips.
- Alcohol consumption dehydrates the body, and consequently alcohol should be avoided when you suffer from dry, itchy lips.
- Drink enough water so that you are well hydrated. It helps your lips and skin retain moisture and prevent drying.
- Aloe Vera gel: is an excellent home remedy for itchy lips. Apply the gel on your lips several times in a day; it will ease the itching and discomfort almost immediately. Slit the aloe Vera leaf and squeeze the gel out. Apply it on your lips.
- Honey and almond oil: blend together 1 spoon of honey and 2 to 3 drops of almond oil and apply over the lips. Leave overnight. Honey naturally soothes the condition and almond oil prevents the lips from drying out. In is useful in food allergies as well as cosmetic allergies.
- Baby oil: apply baby oil over your lips in winter to prevent itchy and dryness of the lips.