An oily and itchy scalp may not be life threatening, but it is definitely an annoyance as you may not able to concentrate on the work you are doing. Imagine how embarrassing you may feel when you start scratching your head in front of others. Besides a cause of social concern, oily and itchy scalp can lead to secondary infection due to irritation and laceration caused by constant scratching your scalp.
If you do not attend this problem on time and delay taking the treatment, there are chances of thinning of hair and consequent hair fall. Several causes are known to cause itchy and oily scalp. With home remedies and change in life style a person can cure this disturbing condition.
Causes Of An Itchy And Oily Scalp
Several factors are known to cause oily scalp. Actually, whatever the triggering cause may be, it ends up producing excess of oil in the sebaceous glands situated in the scalp region. Sebaceous glands are responsible for producing sebum, a type of oil which prevents our skin from dryness. When this sebaceous gland becomes overactive it produces more oil and thus the scalp skin becomes oily.
When a person does not observe personal hygiene, dust and grime and dead skin cells gets mixed with oil and results in irritation and itching of scalp. It also causes dandruff.
- Heredity: it is one of the main triggers for producing excess of oil in scalp region. If someone in your family has oily scalp, you may be susceptible to have oily scalp. The hormone dihydrotestosterone is said to be responsible for this problem.
- Stress and strain: it is known to cause imbalance of body hormones, which may affect your scalp skin and finally oily scalp associated with itching and dandruff.
- Poor personal hygiene: people who do not observe personal hygiene such as regular washing of hairs and scalp, proper grooming etc may be prone to oily scalp. Bacteria get free field to multiply in such environment and it causes itching and dandruff.
- Allergies: food allergy which is very common may be responsible for itching in the scalp. Apart from food allergy, there are several other allergies that a person can suffer from.
- Skin problems: some skin conditions such as licen planus, psoriasis, and eczematous dermatitis on the scalp can be a cause for itching and subsequent oily scalp.
Home Remedies For Oily And Itchy Scalp
To alleviate the discomfort produced by oily and itchy scalp here are few effective home remedies that are useful.
- One of the important rules in treating oily scalp is to observe good personal hygiene. Wash your hairs frequently with a mild and natural herbal shampoo. If your scalp in too oily you need to wash your hair more often.
- Use an anti dandruff shampoo.
- Eat less oily and fried food.
- Eat healthy food that consists of green vegetables, fruits and fruit juices which contain vitamins and minerals that are necessary for good hair and scalp care.
- Drink plenty of fluids and water. It helps to keep your scalp well hydrated and expels toxins that are harmful to the body.
- Extract juice from coconut. Massage this juice over the scalp and let it remain there for 30 minutes. After that rinse your scalp and hair with warm water.
- Lemon Juice is another effective remedy for oily and itchy scalp. Apply lemon juice evenly all over the scalp. See that each and every region of your scalp and hair is soaked with lemon juice. Let it remain for 10 to 15 minutes, after which wash your head with warm water. Lemon juice is and effective remedy for treating dandruff too and thus the itching.
- Soap nuts: soak few soap nuts overnight in water. Next morning grind them and strain the liquid. Rinse your hair with this liquid while you are washing your hairs. It keeps your scalp oil and dirt free.
- Reduce your stress if that is the cause. Practice meditation, exercise regularly to keep your mind relaxed.