Oatmeal has numerous health benefits, and among them oatmeal benefits for skincare is proved and tested since ages. The popular way to cure skin conditions such as hives and eczema is to dip in an oatmeal bath. It soothes the skin from itching.
Here are several benefits from oatmeal baths:
- Oatmeal bath is beneficial when your skin is dry and rough.
- It normalizes and restores the moisture of skin.
- Oatmeal bath exfoliates the skin in a gentle manner.
- There is no need for soap to be used when you use oatmeal bath as it removes the dirt adhered on the surface of the skin.
- It relieves itching
- Oatmeal bath also heals minor skin irritations.
Oatmeal Bath for Hives
Hive is a skin condition medically known as urticaria. It is caused due to an allergic reaction to substances that your body considers to be harmful. Small bumps with intense itching and burning are common symptom of hives. The skin turns red and there is mild rise in body temperature.
Oatmeal bath is very useful in alleviating and treating the symptoms of hives.
It is very easy to prepare oatmeal bath.
- All you need is powdered oatmeal, this you can prepare by grinding oatmeal in a blender.
- It is necessary for the oat to have a powdery consistency as it mixes well in the bath water.
- To test the consistency, add one or two teaspoon of blended powder in a jug of warm water. If the powder is well absorbed and the water becomes milky and smooth, it means the oatmeal has been perfectly blended.
- Fill the tub with warm water.
- Add a cup of freshly grounded oatmeal powder into the tub.
- For more soothing effect you can add a cup of milk.
- Mix the ingredients properly with your hands so that the oats are evenly distributed in the water.
- Be careful as the tub becomes slippery.
- Soak in the bath for 30 minutes.
- Do not use soap.
- Dry yourself with a towel.
The bath soothes the skin irritated due to hives. It also reduces itching and swelling.
Oatmeal Bath for Eczema
Eczema is a chronic skin condition which results into severe rashes and dry skin.
Oatmeal bath effectively treats the condition. It is ideal natural agent to immediately curb itching and soothe the skin. The moisturizing effect helps to keep the skin soft and smooth which is necessary for any eczematous infection. The more you keep your skin moisturized in eczema the better it is to alleviate the symptoms of itching and burning.
Oatmeal bath is prepared in the same way as above. You need ground oatmeal, warm water in a bath tub. Evenly mix one cup of oatmeal in the tub of warm water and soak in the tub for 10 to 15 minutes. Be careful as the tub becomes slippery with wet oatmeal powder. After 15 minutes wash your body with cool water, do not use soap. Dry your wet body gently with a towel. You can apply virgin coconut oil on the affected skin area after an Oatmeal bath.