What is Jaundice?
Contrary to popular belief, jaundice is not an ailment but rather a symptom of an underlying ailment, often involving the liver. The term comes from the French word “jaune” which means “yellow”. The main reason for the yellow color is the high levels of bilirubin in the blood plasma.
Home Treatment for Jaundice
Jaundice treatment can be done with a few homemade remedies that use herbs and other substances easily found at home and in stores everywhere. Here are some natural cures used to treat jaundice:
- Radish leaves are also good for jaundice sufferers. Pound the leaves of the radish and extract the juices from it. Drink a fair amount of this juice daily to treat jaundice.
- Tomato juice with a little bit of salt is also a good remedy for jaundice.
- Add a couple of teaspoons of dried oregano to a cup of very hot or boiling water and let this steep for at least ten minutes. Filter this drink through a sieve or cheesecloth and drink this liquid daily for treatment of jaundice.
- Add a pinch of roasted alum to buttermilk. Drink this twice or thrice a day.
- Take 8 kernels of almonds, 2 dried dates, and 5 small cardamoms. Soak this overnight in water. Peel the almonds and take the seeds from the dates. Grind the ingredients together. Add 50 g butter and about 50 g sugar. Mix thoroughly. Eat as much of the mixture as tolerable.
- Mash 1 ripe banana. Add 1 tbsp of honey. Eat this twice a day.
Ginger & Lemon For Jaundice
- Ginger has always been a very useful remedy for a lot of ailments and jaundice is one of them. Simply extract the juice from a fresh piece of ginger by crushing it and squeezing the juice out. Add 1 tsp each of mint juice and lime to ½ tsp of this ginger juice and ingest this mixture.
- Boil 8 to 10 pieces of lemon leaves in 1 cup of water. Cover and allow simmering for 5 to 6 minutes. Drink this daily for 5 days.
- Squeeze ½ of a lemon unto ½ cup of beetroot juice. Drink this as many in the day as tolerable. This can help to quickly reduce the symptoms of jaundice.
- Make a juice out of a couple of limes. Drink it daily.