The main indicator of jaundice is the yellowish discoloration of the skin and the sclera of the eyes. There are several other symptoms that accompany skin discoloration; and depending on the etiological factor causing jaundice, these symptoms become prominent.
Common Signs and Symptoms of Jaundice
- The commonest presenting clinical feature is yellow discoloration of the skin and whites of the eyes.
- Itching of the skin, urine that is dark or brownish in color and pale and pasty stools are other significant symptoms.
- Abdominal pain, headache, fever, nausea and vomiting, loss of appetite, and weakness may also be seen.
- When an infant has jaundice, symptoms that accompany the yellow discoloration include: constant lethargy, poor feeding habits or lack of urge to suckle, seizures, and high-pitched crying. Signs of infant jaundice invariably manifest between the second and fourth day after birth. Infant jaundice is a relatively common condition, especially in pre-term babies and breast-fed babies. It tends to develop because a baby’s liver is not mature enough to eliminate the bilirubin in the bloodstream. Occasionally, an underlying disease may cause infant jaundice.
Home Remedies to Treat Jaundice Effectively
- Radish leaves: the leaves of radish are an invaluable remedy for the effectual management of jaundice. Extract the juice from the leaves and consume about 500ml daily. It peps up appetite and digestion and aids in normal evacuation of the bowels. In most cases, radish leaves bring about cure within 10 days.
- Jaundice berry: jaundice berry or Berberis vulgaris is extremely useful in jaundice. Pulverize the bark and have 1 teaspoon 3 to 4 times every day. Berberis helps alleviate the symptoms quickly and restores normal liver function.
- Lime: the most significant remedy for jaundice is lime. Limes stimulate the liver cells in to optimal function, detoxify the liver and blood and promote digestion. Ensure that you have at least 3 glasses of lime juice daily.
- Barley water: boil about ¼ cup of barley in a liter of water for 15 minutes. Strain and add ½ a lime to the barley water. Also add 1 spoon f honey. This is an easily digested, healthy drink for jaundice.
- Dandelion root: dandelion root is regarded as one of the finest and most effective liver remedies. The root enhances the flow of bile, manages liver congestion and inflammation and treats jaundice. It greatly improves the functional ability of the liver and also assists the liver in clearing out noxious wastes. To make a decoction, add 2 tablespoons of dried dandelion leaves or roots to a cup of boiling water and let it steep for 10 minutes. Have this once daily.
Specific treatment of infant jaundice is not necessary, and most cases respond to non-invasive therapy. Complications are usually rare; nevertheless, severe infant jaundice or neglected infant jaundice can trigger brain damage. Doctors recommend breast feeding the baby every 2 hours. Frequent breast feeding helps improve the baby’s bowel motility and thus, helps evacuate the bilirubin from the blood.