Joint pains are very frequently seen in women after delivery due to the ordeal the body goes through during pregnancy. As a result, some of the after-effects stay on even until after the baby is delivered.
Hip joint pain is one of the commonest after effects of pregnancy. Alongside, knee as well as pelvic pain may also occur.
Causes Of Joint Pain After Delivery
A woman’s body goes through a lot of stress and changes during pregnancy. The body provides nourishment to the developing baby. A lot of times there is a possibility that the woman fails to get all the essential nutrients from her diet. One such vital nutrient is DHA. It is an essential fatty acid that is required for healthy joints since it lubricates them. In case of a DHA inadequacy, you feel some degree of joint pain after childbirth.
Hormone relaxin is manufactured during pregnancy, which relaxes and loosens the ligaments and tendons in the body.
Home Remedies For Joint Pain After Delivery
- Preventing joint pains after delivery can be achieved by involving yourself in yoga, swimming, and exercises which target those areas which get most afflicted during and after pregnancy.
- Physical therapy, massages and heat and cold compresses are really effective too.
- However, before embarking upon any kind of regimen it is very essential that you confer with your OB/GYN. If there is an abnormally severe pain, contact your doctor immediately.
- DHA supplements and fish oil supplements are beneficial; talk to your health care provider and see what’s best for you.
- Drinking lots of water also helps deal with postpartum joint pain better.
- Symptoms are known to fade away with time. There’s nothing to be anxious about. A bit of care and conscious efforts will help you have a smooth post pregnancy phase.
- In cases of excruciating pains, talk to your health care provider and you could take over the counter analgesics to manage the pain and inflammation.
- Rest the affected joint as often as possible; this encourages recovery and prevents exacerbation.
- Ice therapy is beneficial too; ice helps numb the area, and thus decreases pain and swelling. Apply ice to the painful area for 15 minutes, 5 to 7 times every day.
- Ginger is another effective home remedy to deal with postpartum joint pains. Have a glass of ginger tea daily to keep pains at bay.
- Essential oils are recommended too. Aroma oils are warming, healing and comforting. They deal with pains successfully; reduce discomfort and inflammation as well as banish postpartum blues.
- In some cases, pain in the knee or elbow could be an indication of a serious health issue. The hormone relaxin tends to make the joints, muscles and ligaments loose. If you fall, you run a high risk of injury. Fractures may also contribute to severe pain. Hence, contact your doctor for help to establish a diagnosis.