Kidneys are extremely vital organs located in the abdomen. Their chief function is to sustain homeostatic balance of the body fluids. They filter the blood and get rid of dangerous toxins from the body via urine.
The kidney also monitors the concentration of potassium and sodium and maintains normal acid-base balance.
Kidney pain signifies a kidney disorder.
Causes For Kidney Pain
- Kidney Infection: Pyelonephritis causes swelling and inflammation of the kidney tissues. The capsule surrounding the kidney stretches and causes pain.
- Kidney Stones: Calculi are known to causes excruciating colicky pains. Nausea and vomiting are associated features.
- Urinary Tract Infection: Usually UTI affects the bladder; nevertheless, it may spread to the kidneys.
- Polycystic Kidney Disease: A genetic kidney disorder characterized by cyst formation. The pain is dull and aching.
- Kidney Cancer: Malignancy or a tumor mass may grow and damage the capsule of the kidney thus resulting in dull and continuous pain.
- Blocked Urine Flow: Chronic bilateral obstructive uropathy, kidney stones or an enlarged prostate result in a blockage of the flow of the urine. Dull, relentless pain is commonly seen.
Primarily, it is vital that you do not neglect the pain and visit the doctor. Get yourself examined by a nephrologist and get the investigations and tests he asks you to. This will give a clear picture of the condition that you are suffering from.
Once the diagnosis is made, prompt treatment measures need to be started based on the kidney disease.
Natural Remedies For Kidney Pain
Home remedies, food prescriptions, acupressure and homeopathy offer appreciable solutions for kidney pain management.
- The foremost thing for you to do drink plenty of water. Water flushes the kidney clean and helps ease burden on them.
- Experts recommend having a mixture of lemon juice and olive oil once daily. It tones the kidney, improves their functioning and eliminates kidney stones.
- Cut down your consumption of sugar, caffeinated drinks, alcohol, salt, fried foods, and carbonated beverages.
- Aloe vera juice helps to manage kidney stones effectively and relieves pain too.
- Reduce your intake of fish, meat and poultry as these foods put extra load on the kidneys.
- Bergamot essential oil: Aromatherapy massage using bergamot essential oil is advocated for most cases of kidney pain. Mix 5 drops of the essential oil with 10 drops of olive oil or almond oil and massage gently in to the back and pelvic area. Bergamot eases pain, inflammation and swelling almost instantaneously.
- Cranberry juice: Fresh cranberry juice everyday is excellent for most kidney disorders. Cranberry eliminates bacteria and prevents their multiplication. You can also take a cranberry supplement.