Diet Tips for Kidney Stones:
When you are trying to treat someone with kidney stones or when you are trying to avoid the recurrence of these bothersome stones, you will need to know what kinds of foods affect their growth and which ones hinder it. Here are some suggestions:
- People who have kidney stones that are calcium based should avoid foods like peas, products made from whole wheat flour, spinach, turnips, cauliflower, coconuts, and carrots.
- Those who suffer from regular kidney stones that are made from uric acid or urine crystals alone should avoid pickles, cucumbers, tomatoes, radishes, and onions. Cabbage, beans, asparagus, and carbonated drinks as well as alcoholic drinks should also be eliminated from the diet when a person has kidney stones that need to be treated.
- Other foods that those with uric stones should avoid include those foods that can increase a person’s uric acid like liver, kidney, and other innards.
- Certain citrus juices have been seen to help with some forms of kidney stones. Try to increase your intake of grapefruit juice, cranberry juice, and orange juice.
- When trying to avoid the recurrence of calcium based kidney stones, do not go overboard with your avoidance of calcium.