Knee sprain is a condition which is caused due to injury of any of the ligaments around the knee joint. There are four basic ligaments in the knee joint and the treatment usually depends upon the ligament that is affected due to the injury. This article provides information about the causes and symptoms associated with knee sprain and first aid treatment option and different home remedies that can be used for the management of the condition.
The knee is one of the most important weight bearing joints in the body and comprises of four basic ligaments. These include the anterior and posterior cruciate ligaments and the medial and lateral collateral ligaments. Knee sprain is associated with injury or damage to any of these four ligaments of the knee joint.
What Are The Causes Of Knee Sprain?
Knee sprain is a condition which is characterized by overstretching and occasional tear of the some of the fibers of the ligaments that protect the knee joint. There are four ligaments that support the knee joint,
- The Anterior and Posterior Cruciate ligaments which are located in the center of the joint and hold it in its place.
- The Medial and Lateral Collateral ligaments, the support the knee joint from either sides. All these ligaments work together to keep the knee joint stable and prevent injury.
The knee sprain is classified into three grades based on the level of damage caused to the ligaments,
- Grade 1 refers to damage to the ligaments when less than 10% of the fibers are damaged. This condition usually heals naturally.
- Grade 2 refers to when the damage is more severe but the ligaments are intact.
- Grade 3 refers to when the damage significant and the ligament is completely torn. Such situations may require surgery.
The most common cause for knee sprain includes sudden twisting of the knee joint or force application of pressure on the knee joint.
First Aid For Knee Sprain
The first aid treatment for knee sprain comprises of the principle of “PRICE”. This includes the following,
- Protect: Protecting the knee joint from any further damage.
- Rest: Resting the joint in order to allow recovery.
- Ice: Ice application helps deal with symptoms like swelling and redness.
- Compress: Compression is also useful in dealing with swelling and pain which may be caused due to inflammation.
- Elevate: Elevation is important to facilitate draining of blood accumulated at the site after the injury.
PRICE helps in alleviating pain, swelling and improving range of movement.
Home Remedies For Sprained Knee
While there are several options like using knee braces or supports for the knee joint, there are certain home remedies and alternative treatment options that can hasten recovery.
- Local application of lavender and ginger oil helps in alleviating the pain associated with the sprain. Add a few drops of these essential oils in base oil like almond oil or walnut oil and massage in cyclic fashion. This helps improve circulation of blood, reduces swelling and hastens the healing process.
- Homeopathic drugs like Bryonia is considered very useful in alleviating oedema and swelling of the knee joint while Rhus Tox helps in improving the range of motion.