‘Butterflies in the stomach’, ‘gut-wrenching’ and ‘knots in the stomach’ are the usually used phrases for an uncomfortable sensation in the tummy. These expressions are used when anxiety, rage, grief, euphoria and other emotions set off queasiness in our gastrointestinal tract.
The brain has a marked influence on the stomach. Also, your distressed GI tract can be as much the cause as the product of stress.
Stress makes your body more susceptible to infection as well as inflammation. Infection and inflammation in the gut give rise to discomfort, pain, nausea, flatulence, diarrhea and other symptoms.
In case you are exposed to an ongoing stress which is triggering frequent GI derangement, treatments like cognitive behavioral therapy, hypnosis and relaxation techniques will definitely help.
What Causes A Knot Feeling In Your Stomach?
Stress is by far the most important and the commonest cause of ‘knots in the stomach’.
An abdominal knot or a lump may actually emerge from an area in the abdomen. This could be due to a host of reasons.
- In most cases, the lump is caused by a hernia (protrusion of intestinal contents due to a weak segment in the abdominal wall).
- In rare cases, the lump may be an undescended testicle.
- Occasionally, the tests show a harmless hematoma (a collection of blood under the skin due to broken blood vessels).
- Sometimes, it could be a lipoma (a lump of fat under the skin, they are usually benign).
- Seldom, it may be a cancerous tumor.
Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Knots In Stomach
First and foremost, you need to discuss with your health care provider, he will make a physical examination of the abdomen as well as he may order a few investigations.
He needs to ascertain whether the cause is psycho-somatic, there is a lump which could be a hernia, a lipoma, a hematoma or a tumor mass.
- Primarily, you need to deal with your stress. Cognitive behavior therapy, relaxation techniques and deep breathing yield brilliant results.
- Check what is wrong in your daily diet; steer clear of all refined and denatured foods. Incorporate loads of fresh fruits and vegetables. Also, certain foods are ‘mood enhancers’ and helps battle stress very well. These are: spinach, eggs, cashews, walnuts and whole wheat bread.
- As a quick fix, you can use these home remedies to allay the discomfort in your tummy – caraway seeds, fennel seeds, mint, ginger and yogurt. All these are amazing tonics for the GI tract and fight off flatulence, bloating, nausea and abdominal discomfort.
- Hernia requires surgical repair.
- Lipomas do not need any kind of treatment; they are non-malignant.
- Hematomas tend to resolve on their own and occasionally need surgical intervention.
- In case of a tumor mass, you need a multidisciplinary approach to manage the case well.