A wrist lump is an abnormal bump or a protrusion on the wrist. A lump on the wrist usually develops as a result of an injury to the wrist, such as a blow or overuse of the joint.
Wrist lumps are fairly common; they result from inflammation, infection of the joint, a broken bone on the wrist joint, or a growth like a cyst or a tumor mass.
Inflammation occurs due to tendinitis, arthritis, bursitis or gout. Causes for trauma to the joint include sprains and fractures. Growths on the wrist may be benign, such as a cyst, ganglion, etc. or cancerous, such as a malignant tumor mass.
Causes Of Lump On Wrist
The following are the causes for developing a lump on the wrist:
- Fracture at the wrist joint
- Tumor mass
Lump On Wrist Symptoms
The symptoms depend largely up on the cause for the lump:
- In case you have had a fracture of a bone in the wrist, there will be swelling, inflammation, excessive pain and inability to move the hand.
- Cysts usually are asymptomatic, apart for the bump on the wrist
- Ganglions are initially painless; however, as the size increases, there will be slight discomfort and pain.
- Gout and arthritis are typified by severe pain, tenderness, swelling and reduced range of motion of the joint.
- Bursitis is seen as excessive swelling and pain.
- Tumor masses are painless.
Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Lump On Wrist
Treatment for wrist lump depends up on the cause of the lump. In case your wrist lump is not causing you any discomfort and is asymptomatic, you may not need any kind of treatment.
- If the wrist lump is associated with swelling in the surrounding area, inflammation, and redness; your health care provider will prescribe anti-inflammatory drugs to help improve the symptoms. Occasionally, steroids may be prescribed too.
- Pain and tenderness need to be managed effectively too; you may be given pain relievers to allay pain that occurs with your wrist lump.
- Infections can be tackled using antibiotics. However, consulting your health care provider is advised.
- Ginger is an effectual home remedy for managing a lot of the symptoms of wrist lump. Ginger is packed with a compound known as gingerols; this is excellent to battle swelling, inflammation and pain. It’s been successful in the management of ganglions, cysts and arthritis. Have a glass of ginger tea twice daily, for about a month.
- Black sesame seeds and fenugreek seeds have been decidedly beneficial for the management of symptoms related to gout, arthritis and bursitis. Soak a spoonful of each – black sesame and fenugreek and consume once daily. Do not discard the water in which the seeds have been soaked.
- Homeopathic medications are exceedingly useful for lumps on the wrist. Drugs such as Ruta, Benzoic acid and Arnica are very helpful. It would be a good idea to confer with a homeopathic doctor for the exact remedy and dosage for you. Homeopathy will allay the pain and discomfort; and helps shrink the size of the lump gradually.
- Fractures need to be fixed appropriately, using a plaster and splint.
Serious cases not responding to any medications require surgical intervention to deal with the symptoms.