If you’re feeling helpless, disillusioned, and totally burnt out, it could be mental fatigue. Problems seem overwhelming, everything looks depressing, and you do not have the energy to do something about your situation. Mental fatigue can adversely affect your job, your relationships, and your health. You need to re-instate your balance by reassessing priorities, mobilizing support and making time for yourself.
Mental fatigue could affect you for short and long intervals of time. It occurs due to brain over-activity and the brain cells getting exhausted. Mental fatigue is caused by constant mental effort and high levels of stress. Tasks seem much more complicated, attention span diminishes, concentration is low, and mistakes occur.
There’s no permanent cure for mental fatigue, nonetheless, there are a host of herbal remedies and natural treatments that help deal with the condition.
Symptoms Of Mental Fatigue
Mental fatigue manifests as:
- Unwillingness to work or do anything, even things that you previously loved doing.
- Caring about your family and work seems like a waste of energy.
- Exhausted all day.
- Poor concentration.
- Feeling overwhelmed all day long.
- Mental fatigue causes changes to your body as well, making you susceptible to illnesses.
Natural Ways To Overcome Mental Fatigue
- Begin your day with a relaxing ritual.
- Make sure you follow a healthy eating, exercising, and sleeping routine. This promises that you will have the energy and bounciness to manage life’s demands. Eat well, eat sensibly. Steer clear of fatty and sugary foods; they cause immense harm. These foods may provide you with a huge energy boost, but it is very short-lived, and as a result you tend to flag by the afternoon.
- The key is to have a well-balanced, nutritious diet that provides a gradual and sustained release of energy all day.
- Experts also swear by cinnamon. Have a pinch of powdered cinnamon, 3 to 4 times daily. It is a powerful ‘pick me up’.
- Do not overextend and overexert yourself.
- Take a break from technology. You need to set aside some time every day when you disconnect. Put the cell phone and laptop away.
- Have a hobby. Creativity is a very potent antidote to mental fatigue. Try something new or recommence a favorite hobby. Opt for activities which have nothing to do with your work.
- Most importantly, learn how to cope up with your stress. When you’re burnout, you may feel helpless. But you must pull yourself together and get hold of your life. Yoga, Tai Chi and Pilates can help you. Some form of exercise is vital, it helps enhance oxygen levels in the blood and this peps up cognitive processes.
Meditation For Mental Fatigue Management
Meditation is another powerful tool to battle mental fatigue and exhaustion. The daily and regular practice of meditation promises to slow things down for you. It helps de-clutter your brain and helps it to go on a much needed holiday.
Meditation also helps you let go of the ‘past’ baggage and the ‘future’ worries. You will start to be mindful of your thoughts, its erratic nature and futility of the unproductive ones. You will be able to focus and concentrate much better.
Meditation also promises to make you feel calm, composed and collected in the most overwhelming and crushing situations.