Vestibular migraine is migraine associated with vertigo; it may either be a symptom of migraine or a related neurological disorder.
Migraine is a neurological condition, which still does not have a precise cause; however, it does have a whole list of specific triggers.
About 40 % of those having migraine have associated vestibular syndrome involving a disturbance in the balance and / or giddiness.
Here are the triggers which set off migraine:
- Foods packed with MSG or monosodium glutamate.
- Smoked, cured, or processed meats.
- Food which has been fermented, pickled or marinated.
- Sour cream, yogurt or buttermilk.
- Aged cheese
- Excessive aspartame
- Certain nuts
- Hormone fluctuations
- Barometric-pressure changes
- Disturbed sleep
- Certain medicines
Symptoms Of Vestibular Migraine
Manifesting features of vestibular migraine include:
- One side headache
- Nausea and vomiting
- Vision may be affected
- Over sensitiveness to sound and light.
- Sensation of rotation or illusory sensations of motion.
- Dizziness, light-headedness or faintness.
- Motion sickness occurs more frequently in migraine patients (30 to 50%) than in controls.
- Sometimes, along with the vertigo and dizziness, there may be tinnitus, decreased hearing, reduced consciousness and parathesia followed by throbbing headache.
- Auditory symptoms are rare.
- The attacks of vertigo are usually concurrent with the headache and the family history is always there.
Natural Treatment For Vestibular Migraine
The management plan for migraine calls for a multidisciplinary approach. The primary step is to identify your specific trigger and steadily avoid it. Confer with your health care provider and he will help you ascertain your trigger.
A steady effort by you to embark upon and stick to the required lifestyle changes, taking the right medicine in the correct dose as prescribed, and carrying out the specific tasks and exercises are vital to the success of the rehabilitation therapy. Such observance is very crucial for the successful lessening of the symptoms caused by migraine associated vertigo.
- Your doctor will ask you to follow a vestibular rehabilitation therapy to ensure that the poor balance as well as the giddiness stops.
- Analgesics for migraine are prescribed in case of severe episodes.
- Ginger is an excellent home remedy for migraine associated with vertigo. Ginger promises to reduce the frequency, intensity and the duration of an attack. However, you need to have the root every day. Grate 1 inch of the root in a glass of water and boil. Have a glass daily. In time the episodes of migraine will come on less frequently, and their intensity and duration will decrease too.
- Homeopathy drugs are wonderful for migraine, providing long term and better relief. Experts normally prescribe Natrum Mur, Sulphur, Bryonia, Kali Phos and Glonoine to manage the case well. Nonetheless, it would be advisable to discuss with a licensed homeopath to get a drug prescription for your specific case.
- Essential oils are decidedly beneficial too. Lavender, Ylang ylang and Chamomile help battle stress (an important trigger), help you sleep better (also a determining factor) and allay the headache and discomfort successfully.
- Also, in addition to steering clear of the triggers, you should avoid loud music and bright and blinking lights.
- Migraine also has a relation with your menstrual cycle; thus, it is vital that you consult your gynecologist too.