Mosquito bites can be painful and very itchy. To protect the skin, try natural remedies that are just as effective as medications but are cheap and are safe on the skin.
Home Remedies for Mosquito Bites
Always keep the following home remedies handy at all times as these can help reduce the sting of mosquito bites:
- Paste made from baking soda and water.
- A salt solution can also provide quick relief from itchiness and sting.
- Prepare an oatmeal paste and apply on the bitten areas. This will remove the itchiness and could effectively reduce the swelling.
- Banana peel, used inside out, can be rubbed unto the skin to also reduce the itchiness.
- Sometimes, it could also be very helpful to prepare a mixture of vinegar and pure olive oil. This mixture can help alleviate the pain and sting from the bites.
- If all these are not readily available, pick damp mud and apply on the skin.
First Aid for Mosquito Bites
Mosquito bites can sting a lot, swell, turn red, and become very itchy in a matter of seconds.
- Place a pack of ice on the itchy area. This will prevent or, at least, slow down the spread of histamine.
- Apple cider vinegar. When rubbed unto the skin, this can cause quick relief from the sting.
- Toothpaste. Pick a tube of toothpaste and apply a liberal amount on the affected skin. This can help combat itching and prevent swelling.
- Some fruits are especially effective in providing quick relief from the pain, sting, and itchiness of mosquito bites. Some of these are banana peel, lemon, and lime.
- Is Alka-Seltzer available? Well, dissolve this in water and immediately apply the solution on the bitten areas.
Essential Oils for Mosquito Bites
Essential oils also go a long way in providing quick relief and preventing swelling, further itchiness, and allergic reactions to occur. Some of these essential oils are:
- Pure olive oil. This can be used alone or with other oils or in a mixture with vinegar.
- Tea tree oil. This has natural anti-inflammatory effects so that it can help reduce swelling. This can also help in skin repair and stop itchiness on the bite sites.
- Peppermint oil. This soothing oil can also stop the sting and itchiness.