Dry heaves nausea is a dramatic symptom that can occur in a person after a bout of vomit. It is an involuntary retching spell without any expulsion of vomiting material. The unpleasant nauseous sensation triggers vomiting center in the brain. This leads to the act of vomiting. Even though vomiting has stopped, the vomiting center in the brain still remains active for some time.
Usually, dry heaves subside after some time once the vomiting has stopped. Prolonged and persistent dry heaves nausea when present should not be neglected. It indicates something as serious as raised intracranial pressure or a serious gastrointestinal condition.
What Causes Dry Heaves Nausea?
Usually dry heaves occurs after nausea and vomiting. In fact the act of vomiting is triggering factor for dry heaves. Following causes that induce nausea and vomiting are also the reasons for dry heaves.
- The gastric causes include: gastritis, eating more than required, intestinal obstruction, pancreatitis, appendicitis etc.
- Conditions that raise intracranial pressure such as meningitis, brain tumor, and other forms of headaches such as migraine can cause dry heaves.
- Intestinal infection due to food poisoning, excessive intake of alcohol, empty stomach, patient suffering from chronic renal disease can also suffer from dry heaves nausea.
- Even low blood sugar or hypoglycemia may precipitate dry heaves nausea. This is common among people taking insulin, where there are chances of low blood sugar due to increased dose of insulin.
- Reflux espophagitis or acid reflux disease is also a cause for dry heaves nausea.
- In early days of pregnancy, dry heaves a common problem in many women. It may occur while brushing teeth in the early morning, or due to smell of food and medicines.
- Dry heaves without any obvious organic cause is usually psychogenic. Stress, anxiety and nervousness may be the causative factors.
Symptoms Of Dry Heaves Nausea
Dry heaves nausea in most cases is tiring and uncomfortable. A person may think it would have been better if he would have vomited. The contractions come in waves and they are often accompanied with salivation, pallor and sweating. However, at times the symptoms such as dry mouth and throat are also present. Together with dry heaves the person may feel palpitation, rapid pulse, and dizziness.
Abdominal pain, loss of appetite, loss of taste or bad taste in mouth, choking sensation are few associated symptoms present with dry heaves due to underlying condition. The person may become restless and anxious when the cause is psychological.
Dry Heaves Nausea Remedies
Generally dry heaves resolves once the system cools down, or when the over stimulated brain calms down. However, while you are waiting for the system to calm down, you may try doing few things that may help to alleviate the symptom fast.
- Try to relax yourself as much as possible. It is important as it helps to reduce emotional stress. However, do not lie down because it may aggravate dry heaves nausea. Sit down in a ventilated room or under the fan for a while.
- You can sip a glass of water, or a lime juice. Do not gulp the fluid in one go, instead sip it slowly. Besides this an oral rehydration solution may also help as it may replenish the lost salts due to vomiting. Keep a piece of ice cube in your mouth and suck it. It is useful in reducing dry heaves.
- Dry heaves without any reasonable cause may be due to anxiety and stress. Try to divert your attention and engage in some activities that keeps your mind relaxed.
- Many times eating something salty or eating banana is helpful in relieving the tiring dry heaves.