Inflammation of nerves in medical terminology is called neuritis. Nerves are thin thread like structures that are spread all over the body. The primary unit of the nerve is called the nerve cell. The main function of nerve cell is to pass on messages to and fro from brain and spinal cord to all the organs and structures in the body.
Primarily nerves can be divided into two variants, the sensory nerves and motor nerves. Sensory nerves as the name suggests are connected with sensation part. Motor nerves control movement and coordination. Inflammation of any of the nerve can produce host of symptoms such as tingling numbness, burning sensation to more severe such as wasting and paralysis of muscles.
Treatment of inflammation of nerves is aimed at addressing the underlying cause.
What Causes Inflammation Of The Nerves?
Inflammation of nerves can occur due to various causes. It can occur due to certain health conditions such as;
- Herpes Zoster
- Fracture of bone
- Gullian Barr syndrome
- Deficiency of B1, B6, and B12 vitamin.
- Traumatic injury that may cause pressure on the nerve.
Neuritis can also be caused due to certain food ingredients such as:
- Eating too much of food containing MSG for long period.
- Food items that contain traces of lead and mercury. Certain fish contain traces of mercury. Eating such fish can be more damaging to the pregnant women and the fetus inside her womb.
- Eating too much of food containing trans fatty acid.
Inflammation of nerves can be caused due to certain medications which include vasodilators and blood thinners.
Signs And Symptoms Of Nerve Inflammation
Symptoms of nerve inflammation are usually gradual in onset, especially in diabetes mellitus and other medical illnesses. However, a condition called Gullian Barre syndrome is an exception. In this condition, the symptoms of neuritis develop suddenly, sometime even affecting the muscles of breathing.
Here are some of the prominent symptoms that may indicate nerve inflammation:
- Burning and electric like pain is classical symptom of neuritis.
- When the sensory nerves of feet are inflamed patient may feel as if he is walking on cotton.
- When nerves are affected the power of muscles is affected. This may lead to muscle wasting which is more obvious in paralysis.
- Feeling of tingling numbness and pins and needles is classical in inflammation of nerves.
Treatment Options For Inflamed Nerves
Neuritis produces several symptoms, but the most common of all is pain and burning sensation. Patient is unable to tolerate this pain especially in certain conditions such as herpes. In such cases analgesics and anti inflammatory medicines are found to be effective in relieving the symptom.
- Besides conventional treatment, homeopathy and physical therapy are also found useful in treating the condition. Homeopathic medicine such as hypericum is beneficial.
- Patient can get relief at home by applying cold compresses over the affected area. He has to avoid drinking alcohol and smoking cigarette.
- Eating plenty of vegetables and fruits is beneficial as they contain antioxidants. If the patient is diabetic, he should control his blood sugar level. He should also avoid food preparations that contain MSG and fatty acids.