Nose is prominent feature of face. A well shaped nose enhances facial beauty of a person. Any problem related to nose can be unappealing. The commonest problem people experience routinely is peeling of skin on the nose. The skin begins to peel as a result of damage to the upper layer of skin called epidermis.
Itching, rash and dryness are three important reasons for peeling anywhere on the skin, including nasal surface. It may be directly associated with sunburn or an infection, or indirectly a symptom of systemic disorder. If skin peeling on nose is not improved with regular cleaning procedure, or if there is concomitant itching and redness, you have to take measures to improve the unsightly problem.
What Causes Peeling Skin On Nose?
Skin peeling on nose can be due to many factors.
- Sunburn: It is the most prominent reason for peeling of skin on nose and face. The ultraviolet rays of sun actually cause damage to the skin cells. Once the skin cells are dead, they begin to peel off from the upper layer to make the way for new skin.
- Allergic reaction: Skin flaking on nose can occur due to allergic reaction to chemicals used in cosmetic and soaps. The allergic reaction can cause rash, inflammation, dryness and flaky skin on nose. Sporadic skin irritation on nose and peeling can occur due to certain types of foods. It is usually associated with itching.
- Skin disorders: Chronic skin disorders such as eczema and psoriasis can cause skin peeling on nose if the lesions are on the nose. Psoriasis has silvery flakes with red patches while eczematous lesions are often dry and parched. Itching is common in both conditions. Seborrheic dermatitis which often occurs on scalp can be present on creases of nose. It is an inflammatory skin condition which develops on oily areas of skin.
- Medications: Certain medications used for acne treatment which contain retinoid products can cause skin peeling. When these creams and ointments are applied on acne on nose they can result in skin peeling.
- Dry skin conditions: Peeling of skin on nose is often seen in winter season due to cold climate. Frequent face washing while living in humid areas can lead to dry skin. This is because of loss of moisture from nasal surface.
- Infection: Bacterial and fungal infection on nose can lead to peeling of skin on nose.
Natural Ways To Get Rid Of Peeling Skin On Nose
Skin peeling on nose is not a serious problem. In fact it is a symptom and addressing the underlying cause will cure skin peeling and make the nasal surface smooth.
- The main reason for peeling of skin is dryness which should be addressed as early as possible.
- If the cause is due to sunburn, apply aloe vera gel. Aloe has natural quality to heal sunburn within few days.
- Apply a moisturizer soon after you wash your face. Moisturizer traps the moisture in the skin and prevents dryness which is the main reason for peeling. A natural moisturizer such as coconut oil or almond oil should be applied on nose. It prevents and treats flaky skin on nose. Especially in winter months patient should apply the oil on their nose and face soon after taking bath.
- Avoid using cosmetics on nose which contain harsh chemicals. Avoid applying retinoids on sensitive areas of nasal crease.
- Reduce stress and depression as these factors are known to trigger problems such as psoriasis or eczema etc.