Skin peeling is considered to be a natural body process, after every 28 days the outer skin surface is replaced by new cells. In this way your body gets rid of dead skin cells and makes way for the new ones. However, excessive peeling is not normal; it is a sign of skin damage.
Skin is basically made up of three layers, the outer is called epidermis, the middle layer is dermis and the innermost layer is called hypodermis. The outer epidermis is most vulnerable skin surface since it is exposed to the environmental vagaries. Those who have very delicate and sensitive skin may suffer from visible skin peeling on their face. Let us know some of the leading causes for peeling of facial skin and the remedial measures for getting rid of this condition.
What Causes Dry Peeling Skin On Face?
Dry skin: skin dryness is considered to be one of the most important causes for skin peeling on face.
Sunburn: excessive sun exposure is often a reason for skin peeling. Prolonged exposure to sun rays may damage the outer skin surface and lead to sunburn and skin peeling. There are several other skin conditions that can lead to peeling of facial skin. These skin disorders include psoriasis, dermatitis, ichthyosis, allergic dermatitis. Allergy to certain cosmetic products applied on the face may also result in skin peeling on face.
Side effects of certain medication can cause peeling of skin. Skin peeling syndrome is a rare genetically related skin disorder that is responsible for constant peeling of skin.
Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Skin Peeling On Face
If you are experiencing skin peeling on face, there are several diligent home remedies that you can effectively use to stop skin peeling. The compilation of certain natural ways and home remedies are given below.
- Since sunburn is one of the most important causes for skin peeling, you should always protect your skin from sun rays. Use sunscreen lotion before stepping outdoors; apply it at least half hour before you go out in sun. Sunscreen will help to prevent peeling of facial skin. You can also cover your face with scarf while you are out in sun, or use an umbrella to cover your head from direct sun rays.
- The second most attributing factor for skin peeling on face is dry skin. In order to prevent dryness of skin, you will have to keep your skin well moisturized. Drink at least 8 to 10 glasses of water in a day to keep your skin well hydrated. Apply skin moisturizers to keep your skin moist.
- Do not ever try to pull the peeling skin on face or it may cause more harm and aggravate the condition.
- Certain home remedies are known to be effective in curing and preventing skin peeling, cucumber is a time tested home remedy for peeling skin. Grate one cucumber and apply it on the affected area. Keep it for 10 to 15 minutes. Due to its moisturizing properties cucumber is best suited for dryness of skin, especially for skin peeling on face.
- The next remedy is aloe vera gel. It is well known for preventing and treating sunburn. Apply aloe vera gel or juice on the face to alleviate the symptom of skin peeling especially when it is present on your face. You can also use potato juice instead of aloe vera juice.
- Apply olive oil or coconut oil on your face. Both are known to keep your skin well moisturized and hydrated. They nourish the skin and treat facial peeling.
- Fresh mint leaf juice is another time tested home remedy for skin peeling on face. Apply the juice one hour before bathing.
If you are suffering from certain skin diseases such as psoriasis or eczema or contact dermatitis, consult your doctor.