Infection in the female genital tract is broadly described as pelvic inflammatory disease. This condition usually relates to sexually transmitted disease where the microorganism mainly bacteria enters into the vagina and spreads upwards to uterus, fallopian tube and ovaries after sex with an infected person. In majority of cases the causative organism is gram negative gonococci or Chlamydia. In rare cases pelvic inflammatory disease can also occur after insertion of contaminated intrauterine device or abortion done in unhygienic condition.
Multiple sexual partners, unprotected sex with infected partner are risk factors of transmitting the disease. Many women remain symptom-less for a long period but some of them may suffer from abnormal vaginal discharge, painful sexual intercourse, burning urination, pain in lower abdomen etc. Pelvic inflammatory disease increases possibility of infertility in women due to scarring of fallopian tube if the woman is left untreated.
Causes Of Pelvic Inflammatory Disease
Pelvic inflammatory disease can develop due to bacterial infection in genital tract of women. Normally there are many strains of bacteria residing in vagina, but cervix prevents its entry into the upper genital tract. However, it cannot prevent the spread of certain organisms such as gonococci and Chlamydia as the cervix itself is infected.
Both this organisms are transmitted through sexual intercourse with an infected person, especially after an unprotected sex. Women having sex with multiple partners are also at risk of suffering from sexually transmitted disease and pelvic inflammatory disease. Use of unsterilized IUD and abortion with unsterilized instruments also increases risk of pelvic inflammatory disease.
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease Symptoms
Many women suffering from pelvic inflammatory disease do not have any symptoms. However, some woman may suffer from variety of symptoms such as:
- Constant pain in lower abdomen.
- Burning urination.
- Abnormal discharge from vagina. It is foul smelling and yellow or green.
- Fever with chills.
- Woman with pelvic inflammatory disease may have painful intercourse. Sometimes it is accompanied with bleeding.
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Irregularity in menstruation.
How To Prevent Pelvic Inflammatory Disease?
One of the reasons why pelvic inflammatory disease is worrisome is that if the disease remains untreated it can cause infertility. It can be prevented if a woman takes care of certain risk factors.
- She should always insist on condoms if she has sexual intercourse with a person who is unknown to her or if she suspects him to be infected with sexually transmitted disease.
- Avoid sexual intercourse with multiple partners. This may increase the risk of sexually transmitted disease and pelvic inflammatory disease.
- Woman should take early treatment if she is infected with sexually transmitted diseases. Early treatment will prevent damage to the fallopian tube.
- Avoid frequent douching as it imbalances bacterial flora of the vagina.
- Take care to wash and wipe anus area from front to back after every bowel movement. This will prevent entry of bacteria from anus and colon into the vagina.
Home Remedies For Pelvic Inflammatory Disease
Conventional treatment of pelvic inflammatory disease is a course of antibiotics. In majority of cases antibiotics prevent complications and cure the disease. However, it cannot reverse the damage that has already been done to the fallopian tubes.
To prevent re-infection, the partner should also take the course of antibiotics. During the treatment period patient should abstain from sexual intercourse.
Few home remedies are also useful in treatment of pelvic inflammatory disease.
- Garlic has natural antibiotic and antibacterial properties. Boil few cloves of garlic in coconut oil. Allow the oil to cool down after straining. Soak a clean cloth or a large cotton ball in oil and place it in vagina for few hours. After removing the cotton ball wash the vaginal area with water. Follow the procedure daily for few days.
- Yogurt is another time tested home remedy for pelvic inflammatory disease as it contains healthy bacteria which neutralize the pathological organisms in vagina. Apply yogurt inside the vagina and over vulva. After few hours wash the area with water. Eat one cup of yogurt daily.
- Sitz bath helps to eliminate harmful bacteria. Put few drops of lavender essential oil in a bath tub filled with water. Sit in the tub for 10 to 15 minutes. Follow it two to three days in a week when you have symptoms of pelvic inflammatory disease.