Ulcers in stomach or what is commonly called peptic ulcer, is caused by overproduction of gastric acids that tend to rub against the stomach wall. The lining of the wall itself produces mucus to protect it from the acids. If there is sufficient amount of mucus, then the acids can easily put pressure into the stomach lining, causing pain.
Home Remedies for Ulcers in Stomach
Many people swear by home remedies to stop the pain associated with stomach ulcers.
- One of the most popular remedies is cabbage juice, made from boiling the vegetable for a certain period of time.
- Aloe vera juice provides therapeutic effects in many ailments, including stomach ulcers.
- Cayenne pepper can be mixed with juices as a healing agent for peptic ulcer. The substance called capsaicin can help rebuild the tissues inside the stomach lining and provides anesthetic properties to stop the pain.
- Herbs like chamomile, cinnamon, licorice, slippery elm and calendula are taken as tea drinks to reduce the pain from stomach ulcers.
- Yogurt has probiotics that brings good bacteria for the stomach.
Diet for Ulcers in Stomach
Individuals suffering from ulcers in stomach need to maintain a special diet that would lessen irritation from gastric juices.
- Whole-grain breads, bagels, muffins without seeds, pita bread, cereals and low-fat crackers
- Fruits and vegetables that are fresh, canned or frozen
- Low-fast dairy products
- Lean meat like beef
- Foods to avoid include:
- High-fat foods
- Bread products with nuts
- Raw vegetables, corn, brussels sprouts, onion, cucumber, turnips
- Citrus fruits
- Whole cream milk and cheeses
- Processed meats
How to Prevent Ulcers in Stomach
- Smoking deters speedy recovery of stomach ulcers. Quitting smoking can help in the healing.
- Avoid foods that can trigger ulcer attack, such as coffee, alcohol, chocolate, sodas, fatty foods, tomatoes, chili powder and citrus fruits.
- Try using a different pain-reliever medicine, as some types can worsen ulcers in the stomach.
- Stay relaxed and free from stress. Gastric juices can react to distressing situations at work and home. Exercise regularly to have a healthy dose of endorphins, which can help relieve pain naturally.
- Eat light meals at regular intervals, instead of one large meal to compensate for two meals. It is beneficial for the digestive system.
- Adequate hours of sleep results to a clear and relaxed mind, away from the stresses of daily life. Make sure you get enough sleep everyday to avoid stressful situations.