What are Hemorrhoids?
Piles or hemorrhoids are swollen or inflamed veins located in the opening of the anus and the lower rectal area. This is a common ailment that affects millions of people worldwide. There is a higher incidence of piles in people who are over 50 years old.
There are many different reasons why a person could develop piles but mainly it is because of straining to defecate.
Signs Of Piles
In most cases, piles are not life threatening nor serious. In fact, they commonly just go away after a few days of their appearance. As such, there is really no need to seek medication. However, due to the pain that one feels when eliminating waste, it is important to treat them soon.
Aside from pain, the following are the other symptoms of piles:
- The presence of blood in the feces. This happens when the piles develop internally and gets wounded every time body wastes are eliminated.
- There is a painful swelling on the anus.
- There is an irritation and severe itching on the area around the anus.
- There is a sensation of feeling some heavy matter at the opening of the anus.
- If the feces are not colored red, it may be yellowish in color. Both colors suggest that the piles were ruptured, causing the blood to get mixed with the waste. However, crimson suggests that the piles may be closer to the anal opening.
- A person may lose appetite.
- There is a frequent urge for elimination.
- There is a discharge of slimy mucous from the anus.
- The undergarments are frequently dirtied, sometimes with traces of blood in them.
How To Treat Piles
Fortunately, for those who are suffering from piles, there are a lot of remedies available to help alleviate the symptoms of this problem and to treat it for good. Some of the effective remedies include the following:
- Soak the affected area in a Sitz bath. This is a warm water bath which could be added with some Epsom salt.
- Apply ice packs on the anus.
- A lot of hemorrhoid creams are made of witch hazel. It also goes that witch hazel can be used as home remedy option.
- Boil 20 g sesame seeds in 2 cups water. Drink while still warm.