Pimple on labia is a common problem in women but they often are reluctant to discuss the issue with their doctor as they feel too embarrassing. Vulva is a part of female external genital organ. Also known as genital acne, this skin problem is similar to acne on other parts of body such as face, back and chest.
The outer side of vulva consists of two lips like structure, known as labia majora and labia minora. Labia majora extends from the pubic bone to the perineum (the area between vagina and anus). Labia minora lies inside the vulva. Pimples usually develop on labia majora as it is covered with pubic hair.
Poor hygiene, excessive perspiration, and dead skin cells block the skin pores and give rise to painful pimples on labia. This embarrassing discomfort can be easily resolved with home remedies.
What Causes A Pimple On The Labia?
There are several reasons responsible for pimple on labia. In majority of cases hormonal changes is the cause.
Poor hygiene is another important cause for pimples of labia. Wearing too tight underwear, sanitary pads kept for too long without changing, excessive perspiration can trigger blockage of skin pores. Pimple can also develop due to ingrown hair caused by improper shaving technique. Sometimes poor nutrition and stress or excessive heat is the reason for genital acne.
Symptoms Of Pimples On Labia
The symptoms of pimple on labia are similar to those that develop on face and other areas of body. A small pea sized bump can be felt on touch. It is often painful and tender to touch. The surrounding area becomes read and swollen. Pimple on labia is itchy causing embarrassment for the women. The delicate area is too irritating for the patient especially when she washes her labia.
The lesion may become large filled with pus if secondary infection sets in. Due to pus patient may experience throbbing pain. After few days pus may ooze out from the bump reducing pain and other inflammatory symptoms. During this period sitting and walking becomes extremely discomforting.
Home Remedies To Treat Pimple On Labia
Pimples on labia do not require treatment in majority of cases. The lesion usually heals after a period of time without any scarring. However, there are other lesions such as genital warts and sexually transmitted disease that needs to be differentiated.
Consulting your doctor will help in proper diagnosis. Once the condition is confirmed to be pimple on labia, there are several home remedies that may help to cure the condition. Following steps will help to eliminate the bump quickly.
- It is extremely important to keep the area clean and dry. Clean the area frequently with clean cloth.
- Change sanitary napkins frequently during menstruation.
- Use antibacterial soaps to clean area around the vulva. Avoid using soaps with harsh chemicals and perfumes as they can irritate the skin.
- Warm compresses will help to alleviate pain and itching. It will also hasten the healing process. It will help to drain the pus and reduce swelling.
- Lavender essential oil is beneficial as it has natural antibacterial properties. Take few drops of this essential oil and mix it with coconut oil or olive oil. Soak a small cotton ball in the mixture and place it over the boil. Leave it for some time before washing the area.
- Instead of lavender oil, you can also use tea tree oil. But be careful do not use any essential oil without diluting it with a carrier oil such as coconut oil or olive oil or else it will burn the area.
- Wash the vaginal area with diluted apple cider vinegar. It is an effective natural home remedy to destroy bacteria.