Pimples may be the scourge of the adolescent years, but it can also follow into middle age and beyond. It is the condition where the skin pores become clogged resulting into an inflamed bump. Pimples are often embarrassing when present on face. Some people believe guerrilla warfare is the only way to get rid of pimples which sprout at the wrong time.
However, the question is does toothpaste really help to cure the unsightly zits. The answer may seem diplomatic; in few instances it may be affirmative and in remaining it may be dissenting. It depends on the ingredients contained in toothpaste. Some toothpaste contains ingredients which may help to get rid of them, while some toothpaste contains ingredients which may cause more damage by irritating the skin.
Probably the idea of toothpaste as a spot fixer for pimple arose from the fact that most toothpaste contains baking soda, triclosan, hydrogen peroxide, alcohol etc.
So the bottom line is toothpaste should be used only for what it is intended for and that is dental care. For skin, it is not a favorable approach.
What Kind Of Toothpaste Is Good For Pimples?
However, if at all toothpaste has to be used as an emergency treatment in reducing and drying pimple, selecting the right one may sometimes work.
- Select the toothpaste which is white in color. The ingredients such as baking soda, trilosan, and hydrogen peroxide are present in white toothpaste. In stripped and gel toothpaste, there are other chemicals which may actually cause irritation to the delicate skin of the face.
- There are toothpastes which are specially tagged as teeth whitening products. Avoid using it as most of them contain bleaching agents which may cause burns and irritation to the pimples.
- Many types of toothpaste contain high amount of fluoride as it is beneficial for teeth. However, few people may be allergic to concentrated amount of fluoride. To reduce the risk of skin irritation and dermatitis due to fluoride, use toothpaste which does not have fluoride or has least amount of this chemical.
- The best is to use toothpaste which contains natural products such as tea tree oil, aloe, baking soda, myrrh as these substances have soothing as well as anti-bacterial properties to enhance healing period of pimples.
How To Use Toothpaste For Pimples?
How to apply toothpaste if at all required as an emergency measure?
- Wash your face to clean off the debris and oil from the skin. Wash your face with warm water. Pat your face with dry towel.
- Squeeze small amount of toothpaste on your finger tip.
- Apply a small amount of it on the pimple directly without spreading it to the surrounding skin. Never use it as a facial mask even if there are number of pimples. Strictly apply on the pimples.
- Let the paste remain for one or two hours before washing your face with water. If your skin is delicate, you can wash your face earlier.
- Avoid applying the toothpaste frequently as it may cause irritation and damage to the skin.
- Stop applying it if the pimple becomes aggravated and reddened.
In any case toothpaste is not recommended by dermatologists for treating pimples, even though some people may find it beneficial in reducing its size. There are many other effective alternative ways that are safer as spot treatment for pimples.