Plantar fasciitis is characterized by inflammation, discomfort and pain in the broad band of tissue, known as the plantar fascia. The plantar fascia traverses the base of the feet, linking the heel bone and the toes. Plantar fasciitis is seen as sharp, piercing pain occurring with the very first steps in the morning.
The condition is especially common in runners. Obese people, pregnant women and those who wear shoes with insufficient support are at great risk.
The fascia along the sole of the foot is thicker and tougher than other fascia. When the plantar fascia gets inflamed or ruptured, the body tries to mend it whilst you are off your feet. When you put weight on the foot, the fascia gets pulled, and this re-tears the fascia. Our body tends to get used to the stress, consequently the pain vanishes after a few minutes.
Massage Techniques For Plantar Fasciitis Pain
- When going in for massage therapy, make sure that you go to a licensed therapist. Pain comes on when you or the therapist massages the plantar fascia. The tenderness will disappear promptly, though.
- Massage all along the sole of your foot, using your thumb. Manipulate the sole of the foot using deep movements. Massage that area where the muscle joins up with the base of the heel.
- Massage the lower aspect of the calf muscles and the top of the heel. This is done because in case the tendo – Achilles and calf muscles are tight, the movement of the fascia gets affected. When this becomes loose and supple, it will be less difficult for you to work on the plantar fascia.
- Massage the ankle using slow circular motions.
- Bend your toes till you feel a stretch.
Benefits Of Massage Therapy For Plantar Fasciitis
Massage therapy proffers several significant benefits in a case of planter fasciitis. When you massage, circulation to the affected area greatly increases. Accordingly more oxygen and vital nutrients will reach the damaged tissue and there will be more effective elimination of the wastes; thereby, speeding up the healing. Massage therapy loosens the muscles and relieves muscle spasm and tightness considerably. It will help relax and soften the fatigued, tired, injured, and over used muscles.
Massage helps allay pain and discomfort significantly. It will improve the range of motion and appreciably ease dependence on medicines. Massaging enhances flexibility of the joint to a very great extent.
Massaging promotes tissue restoration and regeneration; it helps pump higher amounts of oxygen and essential nutrients in to the affected tissues and enhances blood circulation. Massaging helps to release endorphins, which work as the body’s natural pain killers and successfully alleviate pain, tenderness and discomfort; without the need to pop analgesics.
Massage therapy will help athletes of any level to prepare for and recover from injuries. Given that, plantar fasciitis is rather common in runners and athletes, massage therapy is greatly recommended for them to expedite healing.
Integrating aromatherapy massage oils in to the massage routine will also yield wonderful benefits. Essential oils such as clove, nutmeg and lavender are advocated.