Potato belongs to solanaceae family also known as nightshades. The other members of this family are tomato, egg plant, tobacco, birch pollen or latex etc. It is the fourth largest food crop produced all over the world after wheat, maize and corn.
In United States, it is most widely consumed food in variety of dishes such as French fries, and other fast foods like burgers, potato flakes etc.
Unfortunately, there are few people who are allergic to potatoes. Generally children outgrow potato allergy, adults who develop potato allergy later are at risk of suffering it throughout their life.
Potato allergy symptoms are the result of body’s adverse reaction by the immune system to the protein present in potato. The allergy symptoms can be mild to severe. The allergy results from eating potato or even touching potato skin and potato itself.
Symptoms Of Potato Allergy
Potato allergy symptoms include:
- Running nose.
- Nasal congestion.
- Watering from the eyes.
- Red eyes.
- Skin blisters.
- Oozing from the blisters.
- Skin discoloration.
- Red rash on skin.
- Scabs on the skin.
- Abdominal cramps.
- Tongue and lip swelling.
- Bumps in mouth.
Potato is concentrated with a protein called patatin. Researchers believe it is patatin which gives allergic reaction, especially atopic dermatitis and eczema.
Potato belongs to solanaceae family. Members of the same plant family can have a condition called cross reaction. People having allergic symptoms with one member of plant family, can also become allergic to other members due to cross reaction. The same is with potato.
Foods To Avoid With Potato Allergy
Potato allergy foods to avoid which have the cross sensitivity are:
- Red pepper.
- Cayenne pepper.
- Bell pepper.
Natural Remedies For Potato Allergic Reactions
It is best way to counteract potato allergies with home remedies, especially when the symptoms are mild to moderate.
- Eat food rich in vitamin A. drink a cup of carrot juice, as carrots contain a considerable amount of vitamin A in natural form.
- Diarrhea and vomiting: drink a cup of ginger tea; you can add one teaspoon of lemon juice and one teaspoon of honey to enhance its effect.
- Skin symptoms such as rash, hives, and itching can be controlled by applying aloe vera gel and vitamin E oil.
- Use cold tea bags over the swollen lip skin; it reduces the swelling due to potato allergy.
- Primrose oil massage is beneficial when you get headaches after eating potatoes or tomatoes.