Normally, the cells of the skin go through a month-long life cycle. New cells originate deep within the skin, and over an interval of 30 days move to the top of the skin surface. By that time the old skin cells die and get sloughed off. However, the skin of one having psoriasis, replicates very fast.
Genital psoriasis is a form of psoriasis, which develops on the genital area in males and females.
What Causes Psoriasis In The Genital Area?
- Psoriasis is triggered due to an anomaly in the immune mechanism and the skin which is turning over too rapidly. Normal skin goes through a cycle of 30 days, whilst in case of psoriasis the cycle is very short – 3 to 4 days. So you are shedding more skin, and have less of a blockade to the outside world, and it is more painful.
- The exact etiological factor causing psoriasis is not yet known; although stress has proved to be a precipitating and maintaining factor.
- For the genitals, some experts state that a yeast infection can trigger it.
Symptoms: Psoriasis manifests as red patches which are itchy. Genital psoriasis is not as flaky or intensely red like the psoriasis on other parts of the body. In fact, given the location, it may be moister, a little more sensitive and may even itch more.
Natural Remedies To Treat Genital Psoriasis
Follow these simple home remedies and guidelines to manage the symptoms of genital psoriasis successfully:
- Use a very mild soap / cleanser to clean the genitals; avoid harsh products. Harsh soaps dry out the skin and aggravate the itching.
- Tight-fitting and synthetic clothes worsen the symptoms of genital psoriasis. Ensure that you wear only cotton underwear. Also, change your underwear frequently to maintain the utmost hygiene.
- Avoid scratching your skin; it worsens psoriasis.
- Vitamin A, E and C supplements help manage the shedding cycle of the skin. You can step up your intake of vitamin A rich foods such as tomatoes, carrots, mangoes and papayas. For vitamin E have a bowlful of seeds and nuts. Limes, lemons, bell peppers, chilies and guavas are packed with vitamin C. Talk to your doctor in case you want to start vitamin supplements.
- Another food-remedy that works wonders for psoriasis is flax seeds. Flax seeds are loaded with omega 3 fatty acids and essential fatty oils which help the skin function better; it helps reset the disrupted cycle of the skin.
- Some experts also recommended fish oil supplements on a daily basis to keep the symptoms at bay.
- Use a blend of tea tree essential oil and cocoa butter on the affected area. Mix 10 drops of tea tree oil in half a bowl of cocoa butter. Cocoa butter lubricates and moisturizes the skin, while tea tree oil will prevent infections.
- In case you are overweight, you need to shed the unwanted pounds immediately. Being overweight makes psoriasis more uncomfortable and difficult to control.
- Most importantly, treat infections instantly. Local and / or systemic infections worsen a case of psoriasis; thus confer with your physician.