Salt is vital for the survival of humans, lack of salt (sodium chloride) will cause electrolyte imbalance in our body which may result in various health issues; in this context salt allergy is very unlikely.
Yes, there is quite a possibility of various content present in the salt to become allergen for a person, whose immunological status reacts to that particular substance.
As there are many kinds of salt, a person having allergy to one type may not be allergic to other types.
Therefore it is critically important to determine which particular kind of salt one has eaten, before making a general conclusion that a person is having salt allergy to all kinds of salt, as the chances are very less.
Salt Allergy And Intolerance Symptoms
Most common salt allergy symptoms are:
- Skin itching.
- Swelling in lips.
- Tingling sensation on tongue.
- Tingling sensation in mouth.
- Swelling of the throat, face and tongue.
- Pain in abdomen.
- Anaphylactic reaction.
Some people have intolerance to salt when they touch it. It produces itching sensation on the skin with rashes all over the body. The condition is called contact dermatitis.
Natural Remedies For Allergic Reactions To Salt
Whenever you have doubt of salt allergy symptoms, it is better to consult your physician or an allergist. With proper clinical examination and blood investigation they can confirm whether you have a salt allergy.
There are many home remedies that can be used when the symptoms of salt allergy are mild to moderate. In severe conditions it is imperative to consult your doctor.
- Rinse aloe vera juice in your mouth frequently, when there is tingling on your tongue and mouth.
- In case of hive, rash and itching, apply rose water and sandalwood paste on the skin. It relieves itching and controls the hives.
- In case of skin itching and eczema drink raw carrot juice. It has proved beneficial in treating eczema due to salt allergy.
- For diarrhea, banana and pomegranate are effective home remedies. Eat pomegranate seeds frequently it relieves the pain and diarrhea as a result of salt allergy.