Causes Of Scurvy
Scurvy is an ailment caused by a deficiency in the intake or absorption of vitamin C. That means that even though the patient receives the recommended daily allowance for vitamin C, it is not absorbed properly in the body. Thus, it is not always safe to say that getting the required daily dose gives the patient complete protection against scurvy.
If the patient is not treated as soon as possible, scurvy can lead to serious problems in the body. Remember that scurvy is an essential vitamin which is needed for the body’s processes. In fact, back in the days when vitamin C was not yet discovered, thousands of people have died because of scurvy.
The good news is that there is a very easy way to treat scurvy – using vitamin C! Also, most cases are reversible after a certain period of treatment. In fact, studies have shown that people who had scurvy and were treated with vitamin C supplements and diet showed marked improvement within weeks.
Natural Remedies For Scurvy
Treatment of scurvy is not limited to medicines alone. There are also a number of home remedies that are quite effective in addressing this problem, especially if coupled with medical treatment. Here are some of the natural remedies that the patient might like to try out:
- Lime or lemon juice mixed with one glass of water and added with a teaspoon of honey is very effective against scurvy. Because they are great sources of vitamin C, lime and lemon are considered of great value in the area of nutrition.
- Another effective treatment for scurvy is gooseberry. This rich vitamin C rich source should be dried and powdered with an equal quantity of sugar. The resulting powder should be taken in one teaspoon doses along with milk, three times a day.
- A good food remedy for scurvy can be found in potatoes. This is because 100 mg of potatoes is known to contain as much as 17 mg of Vitamin C.
- Any food that is rich in vitamin C would be a great treatment option for patients with scurvy.
- Foods rich in vitamin C include:
- Kiwi fruit
Herbal Remedies For Scurvy
- Jaundice berry is also considered as a great herbal scurvy cure. Because the leaves of this berry are known for its anti-scurvy properties, a decoction of this, taken in 2 to 4 ml doses, is known to be very helpful.
- Fresh herbs like parsley and thyme.