What Causes Scurvy Disease
Scurvy is a medical condition caused by a deficiency in vitamin C. It is also caused by malabsorption of this vitamin in the body even with that patient taking it within the recommended daily allowance.
Patients who are most susceptible to developing scurvy are infants who are weaned from breast milk, children who are picky with food, and people who are not getting enough vitamin C because of work or living conditions, such as sailors, prisoners, homeless, etc.
Knowing the cause of an illness is not enough. The patient should also know the signs and symptoms so that he/she will know what to look out for in such cases. Once the patient already has an idea of these symptoms, then he/she would know when it is time to seek treatment.
Symptoms Of Scurvy Disease
- There are number of signs of scurvy but among the more important are:
- Sunken eyes
- Gradual weakening
- Tender gums
- Pale skin
- Liver spots
- Internal bleeding
- Muscle pain
- Poor healing capacity of wounds
- Opening up of old wounds
- Loss of teeth
- Pain in the joints
- A doctor should be consulted upon seeing one or more of these above-mentioned symptoms.
- In general, other symptoms such as diarrhea, fainting, exhaustion, and trouble with the kidneys and lungs are bound to follow after the ones mentioned above.
- There are also a number of other symptoms that the patient can experience. Some of these are :
- Black and blue spots on the legs and thighs
- Bleeding gums
- Partial mobility
- Weight loss
- Thin hair
- Body aches
- Swollen gums that are spongy and purple in color
- Swelling in the legs
- Bleeding in the eyelids’ lining
- Loss of appetite
- Slow healing of wounds
- Enlarged joints
- Inability to gain weight
Treating Scurvy With Home Remedies
The following home remedies are quite effective in treating scurvy:
- Add fruits and vegetables rich in vitamin C into the diet. Such foods include lemons, oranges, watermelons, grapefruits, and green, leafy vegetables.
- Add at least 100 g of spinach in the diet.
- Mix ½ tsp of powdered raw mango and 1 glass of water. Drink this.
- Drink a glass of fresh orange juice twice a day.