Hemorrhoids, also known as piles are a familiar disorder of rectum and anal region. In this disorder, the normal vein of anus and rectum become enlarged and inflamed. The peak incidence of hemorrhoids is observed between 40 and 60 years, but sometimes it is also seen in people as young as 20 years.
Chronic constipation is the chief cause for hemorrhoids; a person suffering from habitual constipation has to strain during each bowel movement. Pregnancy is another reason which can put pressure on the anal veins. Eating low fiber diet, overweight and sedentary living habits are other causes for piles.
There are two types of hemorrhoids, external and internal. External hemorrhoids can be felt as hard, itchy and tender swollen lump. Internal hemorrhoids cannot be felt with your fingers. They remain inside the anus. They may remain undetected for years, but when they become swollen, they often bleed a dark, rust colored blood a common sign of this condition.
Home Remedies To Shrink Hemorrhoids Naturally And Effectively
Hemorrhoids are not serious but are more of a nuisance. In modern day medicine, there are many options available to shrink hemorrhoids. Surgical method is one of the popular methods to shrink hemorrhoids. But since ages, there are vast numbers of time tested natural treatment methods which a person can try at home. Below are given some of the measures to ease discomfort and shrink hemorrhoids.
- Avoid wiping with the rough toilet paper. Wiping will lead to friction and rubbing on the external hemorrhoids which may result in bleeding. If at all you want to wipe, use a wet toilet paper. There are pre-moistened wipes available in the market.
- Sitz bath is an effective and time tested way to shrink hemorrhoids. All you have to do is to sit in a tub that contains lukewarm water. Sit in the tub for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Apply ice over the external piles. This will help to reduce the blood flow and thus help in shrinking of piles.
- Avoid eating foods that are known to aggravate hemorrhoids. Do not eat too much spicy food. Avoid alcohol and coffee as they are known to aggravate the condition.
- Avoid constipation. To avoid constipation you have to drink enough water. At least 6 glasses of water are necessary to be drunk in a day. Eat fruits and vegetables that are high in fiber content. High fiber fruits help to accelerate bowel movement and prevent constipation. Once constipation is relieved, there is less pressure on the hemorrhoid and other measures taken will get far better chance to act.
- Apple cider vinegar can be relied up on for shrinking hemorrhoids. Apply apple cider vinegar over external piles. Following the procedure for few days, will help to shrink piles.
- Prunes: eat prunes regularly. Prunes have laxative effect. It helps to keep the intestinal motility and prevent constipation.
- The fruit orange is known for its taste. But very less people are aware of the amount of vitamin C it contains. Vitamin C is useful in strengthening the lining of blood vessel.
- The astringent property of Witch Hazel is useful to shrink the hemorrhoids. You can use it as a tincture or as an ointment over the external piles.