Impetigo is a contagious skin infection. It can occur at any age, but it is commonly considered to be a disease of childhood, for this reason many people address it as school sores. The causative organisms are mainly pyogenic staphylococci and streptococcus pyogenes bacteria. Impetigo presents with red sores on the face, especially around the nose, lips and the chin, though it can occur on any part of the body.
Infection is transmitted by contact with any individual carrying pyogenic bacteria, directly or through personal belongings such as towels, handkerchief, toys, and clothing. Though the bacterium enters through cuts and scrapes on skin, it can also develop in a patient who has healthy skin. Basically, reduced immunity and diminished local resistance helps the organism to proliferate and cause impetigo condition.
Types Of Impetigo Skin Infection
Impetigo is of two varieties, non bullous and bullous. Non bullous is common than the other variety. The organisms responsible are same, staphylococcus and streptococcus bacteria. In the beginning there is small red oozing sore.
Bullous variety is caused only by staphylococcus bacteria. Blisters appear in this variety. The blisters can appear on any part of the body, but most often it is seen on buttocks and trunk. Blisters contain watery and sticky yellow fluid. The blisters break easily leaving raw skin surface. Crust forms after few days. After healing the crust falls off.
There may be slight itching but the lesion is seldom painful.
Home Remedies For Impetigo Infection
In most cases the disease can be cured in 7 to 10 days. Once the sores heal, they do not leave any scars. However, as it is a contagious skin disease precaution has to be taken to prevent its spread. The affected part should be dried, cleaned and covered.
With recent revolution in the field of antiseptics and antibiotics, person suffering from this disease recovers speedily and most often without any complication. There are many home remedies that are found to be as effective. Some of them are mentioned below.
- Firstly you have to remove the scabs. To remove the scab, soak the area with water and vinegar solution for 10 minutes. It helps to remove the scabs easily.
- Garlic: garlic is considered as a natural antibiotic. Applying crushed garlic on the lesion is an effective home remedy for treating Impetigo. Simultaneously a person can eat two cloves of garlic daily.
- You can also apply aloe vera gel on the lesion. Aloe vera gel has bacteria killing properties.
- Tea tree oil mixed in olive oil is an effective home remedy for treating impetigo. Add two drops of tea tree oil to a teaspoon of olive oil. Olive oil acts as a base. Apply this mixture of oil 3 times in a day over the lesion. You have to apply a thin film of this mixture.
- Simmer thyme and rosemary leaves in two cupful of water for 15 minutes. Remove the leaves once it becomes lukewarm. Now clean the area with regularly with this liquid. When used daily, it acts as a natural antiseptic solution for cleaning the lesions.
- Turnip is considered to be an effective natural cure for treating impetigo. You have to soak turnip slice in rice water for 5 to 6 hours. Eat this slice daily till the impetigo lesions heal.