Keloid is excessive growth of a scar tissue at the site of injury. It is common in people having dark skin. Keloids tend to enlarge with time.
It is a red raised lesion that is made up of collagen. It appears on the chest, abdomen or arms. Common causes for the development of keloids are burns, cuts, piercings and acne.
Excessive secretion of the melanocyte hormone is another important cause. A keloid may also form when a wound gets affected while healing.
Natural Home Remedies For Keloids Treatment
Treatments such as surgical excision / laser cause the keloid to grow even larger. Treatment is also considered tricky, since, results differ with the treatment option.
Here are some effective home remedies that have proved to be invaluable in the management of keloids. They prevent an increase in the size and also help shrink keloids effectually:
- Baking soda: baking soda has been frequently used to manage keloids. Mix 1 part baking soda with 1 part 3 % hydrogen peroxide.
- Apple cider vinegar: apply apple cider vinegar directly on the keloid and let it dry. Apply the apple cider vinegar 10 to 20 times every day. In case, you find the apple cider vinegar too strong, and it burns or irritates the skin, you may dilute the apple cider vinegar with a little bit of water.
- Aspirin: crush aspirin and mix it with some water. Apply the paste to the keloid, let it dry off, then rinse with water; and re-apply as needed. Repeat daily, till the keloid starts receding.
How To Prevent And Remove Keloids?
Some experts recommend using aromatherapy for keloids. Essential oils have been used beneficially in the treatment of keloids. In particular, lavender essential oil and tea tree essential are of great value.
Lavender and tea tree essential oil: Apply a blend of 5 drops lavender oil and 5 drops tea tree essential oil to the keloid several times a day. These oils have skin cell rejuvenating properties that help with all forms of scarring. They help increase skin cell turn over and help in keloid shrinkage too.
The following remedies are also used time and again to remove keloids:
- Garlic: Garlic essential oil or crushed cloves of garlic can be applied directly to your keloid scar. In case of irritation and burning, discontinue.
- Potassium Iodide: is another significant remedy that works well on keloids. Apply potassium iodide over the keloid more than a few times every day until you see flattening of the keloid.