Morgellons disease is a rare skin disease which is characterized by unsightly skin lesions, itching and sensation of something crawling under the skin. This clinical entity has not been considered by medical fraternity and medical texts as a separate disease. They consider it to be a non specific skin and psychiatric symptom or an unexplained dermatopathy.
Many people also refer to it fiber disease, because of emergence of fiber like material from the sores. The condition is more prevalent in women of Caucasian origin that other groups. It is more common between 35 to 50 years. In America the incidence of this disease is higher in California and Texas than other states.
Morgellons disease is not contagious. It is not caused by any infective organism or a parasite. There is no evidence of any environmental agent responsible for this disease.
Symptoms Of Morgellons Disease
Those who have morgellons disease have following signs and symptoms;
- There is intense itching and a feeling as if something is crawling under the skin.
- Person feels as if an insect or a worm in moving under the skin.
- Skin sores that are either spontaneous or self inflicted.
- Fiber like filaments or black seed like small granules in and on the sores is striking symptom of this disease.
- Difficulty in concentration and short term memory loss is present in many people who have morgellons disease.
- Joint and muscle pain.
- Marked fatigue.
Causes Of Morgellons Disease
The exact cause of morgellons disease is not known. There is no evidence of involvement of germs and microorganism in producing this disease. Even there is no evidence of any environmental toxin responsible for this disease.
Many people who have suffered from morgellons disease are tested positive for Lyme disease. But this does not mean every Lyme disease patient has associated morgellons disease.
There is another school of thought that believes it is a form of psychosis. Here the patient has a delusion that he is infected by parasites. It is also called delusional parasitosis. White females are generally affected with this disease. It generally occurs in middle aged people.
Home Remedies For Morgellons Disease
There is no specific medicine to cure morgellons disease. There are people who have benefited with few home remedies:
- Alfalfa baths are known to heal the skin lesions of morgellons disease. In many cases itching, burning, and crawling sensation under the skin stops.
- Applying bentonite clay over the lesions is known to reduce itching and clear the lesions. Its highly absorbing property and ability to draw out heavy metals, drugs, and toxins from the body is beneficial in reliving the ailment.
- Mangosteen juice is believed to be another good remedy for skin diseases such as morgellons disease. Its use reduces inflammation of the skin sores, brings clarity in memory, reduces depression etc. All these properties are attributed because of its antioxidant quality. It increases immune level, and balances the microorganisms present in the body.
- Use of mustard powder is also found effective in morgellons disease.