Scabies is an infection of the skin that is caused by the scabies mite or the itch mite. It produces small eruptions / lesions all over the body. The mite that causes scabies nests under the skin, and lays eggs there. As the mite burrows in the skin, it causes excessive itching and discomfort.
Early Signs Of Scabies
Early manifestations of the scabies infection include:
- By and large, the mite burrows in the webs of the hands, in between toes, in the elbow, or knee and in between the breasts.
- As the mites burrow, and release secretions, they produce eruptions, nodular bumps or a rash. The eruptions are very itchy. The itching increases at night.
- Continuous scratching produces sores; these sores may ooze get infected and become a breeding ground for bacteria.
- Over a period of time, the skin develops scales. The burrows can also be seen on the skin.
Causes of Scabies
Scabies is caused by a parasitic mite called Sarcoptes scabei or the itch mite.
Precautions for Scabies
- Wash all bed sheets, napkins, towels, underwear and clothes in hot water, to which an anti septic has been added.
- Never scrub the skin too hard, and do not try to dispose of the mites using radical measures.
- Using cold soaks, calamine lotion, and anti histamine is recommended.
Home Remedy For Scabies
The following home remedies help to manage the itching and discomfort associated with scabies and help fight the parasite and cure the eruptions too:
- Neem Oil: Neem oil is a potent anti septic, anti bacterial, anti viral and anti parasitic. It is an effective home remedy for scabies. Neem prevents the mites from multiplying, and provides immense respite for the itching, inflammation, swelling and redness. Another effective option is using the Neem tree leaves.
Add about 20 to 30 Neem leaves to hot water and soak yourself in it.
- Tea Tree Oil: The tea tree oil is used to treat a host of skin infections and ailments. It is the most medicinal of all the aroma oils. Tea tree fights the itching instantaneously, and heals the eruptions, kills the mites and the eggs and hastens cure.
You can apply the oil on to the eruptions and the burrow marks directly. Also, bathing in water, to which 10 drops of tea tree oil is added will help immensely.