Splits fingers are nothing but cracks at the tip of your fingers. Split fingers are a painful condition and those who suffer from it are vulnerable and interfere with the ability to do any work. Especially it becomes very difficult to write when you have cracks on your finger tips.
The usual reason for your split fingers is fungus infection.
Before knowing the split finger remedies, let us take a look at what is the reason and risk factors behind your fingertips getting split.
What Causes Split Fingers Or Cracked Fingertips?
There are a host of factors that may result in split fingers or cracks on the finger tips,
- Change in temperature from cold to hot or vice versa may affect the person’s blood circulation, especially on the finger tips. For example, when your fingers are exposed to dry windy cold and suddenly you put them in front of the heater the capillaries will not adapt to the change very fast. This may trigger small red itchy areas on the finger tips which may eventually give rise to cracks and pain on the fingertips.
- Fungus gets a chance to slip in the cracks and fissures of the fingertips. This condition is often referred to as hangnails and can be associated with bleeding and severe pain.
- Hormonal changes.
- History of split fingers in family.
- Malnutrition and vitamin deficiencies.
- Connective tissue disorders.
- If there is lot of dampness where you stay and work the risk of split fingers increases.
- Contact dermatitis, psoriasis and eczema are other reason for split fingers. These diseases may already be present in other parts of the body.
- Constant scrubbing with hand soaps and exposure to detergents while washing.
Split Fingers Natural Remedies
While the condition is not very severe and tends to resolve naturally, there are some simple home remedies that can help in the management of the condition,
- The best home remedy for split fingers is an ointment containing citronella oil. This is because citronella oil is a potential fungicidal. It has to be used with a base as some times in concentrated form it may irritate the skin of the finger tips.
- Split fingers causes cracks and bleeding in the finger tips. Therefore it is necessary to apply a moisturizer and petroleum jelly is best suited. It helps to keep the hand and finger greasy and at the same time helps in the process of healing.
- Use of udder cream is another home remedy for split finger. It is usually used as a preventive measure for udder chapping in cows.
- While treating split fingers, it is also imperative to improve your body’s immunity. Eat and drink plenty of organic food.
- Keep your body well hydrated with drinking water and fruit juices.
- Simple preventive measures include; wearing latex gloves, to prevent from scratching. Avoid washing with harsh detergents, stay away from constant use of water as in case dish washing and other house hold activities.