Shingles is a neurological disorder, caused by the herpes zoster virus and is seen as a painful rash on the skin. The word ‘shingles’ has originated from the Latin words, meaning ‘belt’ or ‘girdle’. It specifies the distribution of the rash in a broad band.
Causes and Symptoms of Shingles
The VZ virus or the varicella zoster virus causes chickenpox during childhood.
- The first manifestation of the disease is great sensitivity / pain, unilaterally. There could be burning, tingling, itching, or throbbing pain.
- After one to three days of commencement of pain, rash develops. Red blisters form, in a distribution that is similar to the pain. The lesions are pus filled, and they after 10 days, scabs are formed. By and large, the rash first starts on the neck, trunk and back.
- Two weeks thereafter, the rash clears, and the scab falls off and scarring takes place.
- More often than not, only one nerve is involved, however, infrequently, multiple nerves may get affected.
- Then, post herpetic neuralgia sets in: sharp, piercing, excruciating pain may persist for years after the blisters heal.
Shingles Home Treatment
Prompt treatment helps reduce the occurrence of complications and checks the ongoing pain. It is advisable to consult the doctor immediately, particularly if you are older; have another medical disorder or have shingles on the face.
If the diagnosis is indeed shingles, you might want to ask your doctor about acyclovir.
Antiviral drugs, given early help prevent pain considerably.
Even though experts give emphasis to getting timely medical help, there are a host of effective home remedies that successfully allay pain and itching during the early stage of shingles, and cope with any discomfort once the blisters have cleared up.
Home Remedy for Shingles
- Wet compress soothes the burning sensation.
- In case the blisters get infected, dab on hydrogen peroxide.
- Powder 2 aspirin tablets, add 2 spoons of alcohol. Apply this to the affected area. It helps diminish pain and burning.
- Keep the blisters open and dry.
- Blend together ½ a cup of apple cider vinegar and 2 cups of water. Soak a cotton swab in this solution and apply.
- A blend of aloe vera, honey and leek juice is anther highly effective home remedy.
- The following agents are decidedly beneficial for shingles: vitamin E oil, goldenseal, and peppermint tea.
- Apply a mixture of yogurt and zinc oxide along the particular path of the nerve. If it is applied before the outbreak it would help to curb the outburst of blisters.