One of the commonest manifestations of an inflamed throat is swallowing saliva frequently. Air passages to the lungs swell, making the throat dry; hence, swallowing helps keep the throat well lubricated.
Inflammation of the throat is also associated with cough and throat pain. Sometimes, pain may be felt in the throat, while swallowing food or when yawning.
Is there a Remedy for Throat Irritation
- Gargling: in 1 glass of lukewarm water, add a pinch of salt and gargle. Repeat twice everyday.
- Stay well hydrated: drink plenty of water through the day. Warm water is advised, since, warm water melts the mucus that tends to block the air passages. Consume loads of water and other fluids too. Herbal teas are recommended.
- Lemon grass: soothes an irritated throat almost instantaneously.
Remedy for Throat Irritation
- Honey: honey soothes the lining of the throat and reduces phlegm. It improves breathing and also acts like a powerful anti septic, thus preventing infections. Consume 2 spoons of honey every morning.
- Turmeric: turmeric is another effectual home remedy. Curcumin, found in turmeric is a potent anti inflammatory agent. It fights throat inflammation and irritation and prevents infections as well. Add 1 spoon of powdered turmeric to a glass of hot milk and have once everyday.
- Ginger: ginger tea is the most important natural remedy for throat irritation. Boil grated ginger in water and consume 2 to 3 times.
Natural Remedy for Throat Irritation
Steam inhalation is recommended by all health care professionals as the best and most effective natural remedy to fight upper respiratory disorders. It promises to fight throat inflammation in a couple of hours. Use an electric steam or boil water over the fire. Add 1 clove and 1 cinnamon bark to the water. You may also add 2 drops of eucalyptus essential oil. Cover your head and inhale the vapors for 5 to 7 minutes, at least thrice daily. It will clear up the throat; alleviate pain and ease mucus discharge too.
Throat Irritation Causes
- Dust and pollution are the commonly seen causes for throat irritation.
- Cold, influenza, etc. are common causes too.
- Occasionally, an allergy to a particular food may trigger inflammation of the throat.
- Smoking is the principal cause too; both active smoking and passive smoking.
- Cold beverages: cold water, cold drinks, cold beer trigger irritation also.
- Frequently, acid reflux can set off throat irritation and pain too. Acid regurgitation causes an inflammation of the throat tissues and produces a cough, mucus discharge and swelling.
- Those who use their voice a lot: teachers, singers, orators, etc. habitually suffer from irritation of the throat. The muscles of the throat get strained, impairing the vocal chords.