White dots in throat are not normal, in most cases they are sign of infection in the throat. These patches can be either on the posterior wall of the throat or on the tonsils. In either condition they are irritating and painful. Patient may feel pain and difficulty while swallowing food and liquids.
Apart from an infective pathology, white spots in throat can develop as a result of injury to the mucous membrane in the throat. This happens when your throat is exposed to certain harmful chemical compounds.
What Causes White Spots In The Throat?
Let us begin with common causes where there are white patches inside the throat.
Tonsillitis: Tonsillitis is infection of tonsils. It is caused due to bacterial infection. Tonsils are lymph nodes present on back of the mouth and in the throat. A common condition in children, the symptoms include fever, throat pain, and difficulty in swallowing and white patch on tonsil.
Streptococcal sore throat: It is caused by group A streptococcus bacteria.
Diphtheria: it is an infectious disease, acute in nature caused by corynebacterium diphtheria bacteria. Symptoms include fever, painful swallowing, sore throat, white patch in throat, cough, difficulty in breathing, watery and bloody discharge from the nose. Once it had high mortality rate but due to widespread DPT immunization all over the world, diphtheria has become a rare disease.
Infectious mononucleosis: it is a viral infection presenting with sore throat, hoarseness of voice, white patch in throat and other symptoms.
Syphilis: it is a sexually transmitted disease which may affect the throat in its advanced stage giving rise to white spots in the throat.
Leukoplakia: Leukoplakia is a condition which affects the tongue and inside of the cheek. But it can also extend in the throat. Person having leukoplakia is at a greater risk of suffering from oral and throat cancer.
Chemical exposure: accidental exposure to chemicals can give rise to white spots in throat.
White Dots In Throat Symptoms
Since white spot in throat is a sign of the underlying disease, it can accompany many other symptoms of that particular disease.
Generally accompanying symptoms with white spots in throat are:
- Throat pain.
- Difficulty in swallowing.
- Dry throat.
- Hoarseness of voice.
- Pus on tonsils.
- Red and fiery throat.
- Body pain.
- Enlargement of lymph nodes.
- Loss of appetite.
- Irritation in eyes.
Home Remedies For White Spots On Throat
White spots in throat result from several causes. Diagnosing the right disease is very important before starting the treatment. The treatment is targeted at disease rather than on the white spots. Soon as the treatment starts working, symptoms of the disease together with white spots begin to recede.
Traditional line of treatment includes antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medicine.
There are simple home remedies that can also help in alleviating the symptoms too.
- In order to alleviate pain and sore throat, gargling with salt water is time tested remedy. Salt is known to be a mild antibacterial agent. It kills the germs present in throat. Gargling soothes the throat and the person finds it easy to gulp food and liquid.
- Turmeric is another natural home remedy for treating throat conditions. Mix pinch of turmeric powder in a glass of warm water and drink it two times in a day when there is white spots in the throat.
- Eat foods that are not too spicy, bland food is preferable.
- Stop smoking and drinking. Stay away from chemicals and fumes that may irritate the mucus lining of the throat.
- Drink enough water, stay well hydrated.