For many people, nail is an object of beauty and attraction. Besides its aesthetic importance, they are unaware that nails are mirror of their health. A healthy person will have smooth and shiny nails. Whereas poor health will always reflect some sign of nail problem. Nails also protect the sensitive finger and toe tips from trauma.
Cuticles play an important role in maintenance of healthy nails. Cuticles keep the nails firm and protect its root from bacterial infection. Nail problems begin when cuticles dry out. It gives a chance for the bacteria to seep in the nail root leading to infection and inflammation. Nail care is vital during winter because in this season people often tend to develop cracked and split cuticles.
What Causes Splitting Cuticles?
Many factors are responsible for split cuticles such as:
- Cuticles split and crack when they become dry. Cold temperature during winter is one of the biggest risk factors for split cuticles. Cold climate and low humidity both tend to sap moisture from nails and cuticles. Sometimes they become sore and red.
- Prolonged and frequent exposure to water is another culprit to cause split cuticles. Especially women who have to work in water while washing utensils and clothes are at risk of suffering from cuticle damage.
- We are exposed to chemicals, detergents and soaps daily. These products damage nail cuticle.
- There are many people who are nervous and they pick cuticle in their nervousness.
- Malnourishment and nutritional deficiencies are two important reasons for cracked and split cuticle. Certain systemic diseases such as thyroid problem can result in nail and cuticular damage.
- Cuticle can get weak and damaged due to infection around the nail and in the nail bed.
Home Remedies To Heal Cracked Cuticles
Split cuticle can be treated with simple home remedies.
- Natural acids are used to treat damaged cuticle. Lemon juice contains natural acids which help the damaged cuticles to peel off.
- Apply vitamin E oil on cuticles and finger tips regularly. It helps to moisturize the cuticles and hydrate it.
- Milk is another effective home remedy which helps the cuticles to remain well nourished and hydrated.
- Eat foods that are rich in proteins and vitamins as it helps to maintain overall nail health.
- While doing washing and household work with detergents and soaps cover
your hand with gloves.
- Avoid ripping split cuticle as it may increase the risk of bacterial and fungal infection.