Staph infection is a common skin condition caused by staphylococcus bacteria. There are several types of staphylococcus bacteria, but infective agent in majority of cases is staphylococcus aureus. Staph infection can occur in any part of the body including gastrointestinal tract, respiratory tract etc. But staph infection is more common on skin which also includes face.
Pimples provide easy access for staph bacteria to multiply and damage the facial skin. Infection caused by staph bacteria on face can be in the form of boils, impetigo, cellulitis and furunculosis. Staphylocous infection is contagious. People suffering from diabetes, weak immune system, frequent dialysis, HIV infection etc are more vulnerable to staph infection on face and other parts of skin.
Staph infection on face needs to be treated at the earliest because if left untreated it can spread to nearby skin. It can also cause scarring on face if the infection reaches deeper skin. Antibiotics are mainstay treatment for staph infection. Home remedies are also effective in dealing with this organism.
What Causes A Staph Infection On Your Face?
Staphylococcus bacteria are present on skin in almost all individuals.
Some men are vulnerable to staph infection on face due to shaving. The germs can enter trough broken skin while shaving the face to cause boils and furuncles. Women are equally susceptible to staph infection on face. Dirt, perspiration, makeup all help the organism to multiply on facial skin. Pimple and acne can be infected with staphylococcus bacteria present on facial skin.
Impetigo is serious condition generally developing on face caused due to staph infection. It is more prevalent in children. Staph infection can spread by touch. Kissing, contact of face with an infected person can be the cause of its spread.
Symptoms Of Staph Infection On Face
Staph infection on face is painful. Patient may present with boil or a red swollen face. There may be a boil or a pimple with a white head near the hair follicle. The affected portion of skin may develop blister and later on starts peeling leaving behind raw underneath skin.
The lymph channel that drains in neck from the face is swollen. Lymph nodes are tender and enlarged in size if you have boils and staph infection on face.
Staph infection is serious infection when present on face because, infection around the lips and mouth can spread to brain causing meningitis a serious brain condition. Patient may have systemic symptoms such as fever, chills, fatigue and body ache in severe staph infection.
Natural Remedies For Staph Infection On Face
Boils, impetigo and various other type of staph infection on face needs to be treated on time. Untreated infection can cause scar formation later on when the lesion heals. Antibiotics are effective in treating staph infection. However, they may have side effects. There are several home remedies that are equally effective in killing the germs. Ingredients from kitchen cabinet are useful in easing the symptoms, enhance healing process and prevent deep scars resulting when the lesion heals.
- Tea tree oil is time tested remedy to treat staph infection on skin surface. It has anti inflammatory and antibacterial properties that can reduce inflammation and kill the germs. Mix few drops of tea tree oil in aleo vera gel. Apply the gel on the boil or a skin lesion caused due to staph infection on your face. Let it remain for a while before washing the area with water. Follow the procedure daily for two to three days. Gradually the boil will subside.
- Apply turmeric paste on the skin lesion present on your face two times in a day. Turmeric is natural antibacterial and anti inflammatory remedy. It helps the lesion to heal faster.
- Oregano oil is equally effective in treating boils and furuncles present on face. Dilute few drops of oregano oil with coconut oil. Apply the prepared oil on the lesion. Wash the area after 15 minutes.
- Extract juice from basil leaves. Apply it on the affected area many times in a day. It helps to kill the bacteria.
- Reduce your sugar intake. Increase consumption of vegetables and fruits as they are rich in vitamins and minerals that are essential in boosting your immune system.
- If you are diabetic, control your blood sugar. Staph infection can spread easily to other areas. It also increases healing period.