Allergies occur when your immune system believes that a particular product is will harm your body. This internal mechanism of immune system will react to that substance and produce antibodies to fight back, giving various unwanted symptoms.
People, who are allergic to bees and pollens, are at a greater risk of suffering from honey allergy symptoms.
Honey allergy symptoms may be different from person to person; some may suffer mildly while in other it may be moderate to severe. Rarely, you come across life threatening symptoms due to honey allergy.
Honey Allergy Symptoms
- Running nose.
- Itching in throat.
- Swelling of lips and tongue.
- Itching in upper palate.
- Watery eyes.
- Skin rash and itching.
- Breathing difficulty.
- Nasal congestion.
- Anaphylaxis reaction.
Honey Allergy Treatment
- Anti histamines is the cure for honey allergy symptoms after its appearance.
- Over the counter medications can also bring relief from the discomfort caused by honey allergy symptoms.
- To avoid honey in any form is the best honey allergy treatment.
- Foods and beverages and other byproducts containing even traces of honey should be avoided by the person having allergy to honey.
- Anaphylactic reactions should be treated as an emergency. The symptoms can be dizziness, fainting, shortness of breath and unconsciousness, low blood pressure. The reaction can be life threatening, call the medical expert immediately in such situation.
Home Remedies for Honey Allergy
As you know, honey allergy is more common to those who suffer from pollen allergy and bee allergy; this is because honey is the byproduct of pollens and bees. Home remedy for honey allergy are as follows.
- Quercetin: this herb is a flavanoid and it is known to stop the release of histamine from the body during the immune response to an allergen. It reduces nasal congestion and sneezing. It also controls sinus pain caused due to allergic rhinitis. If it is combined with orange or grapeseed extract, the effect to reduce the allergic honey symptoms are greatly enhanced.
- Nasal saline spray is also effective in controlling nasal symptoms of honey allergy.
- Headache: prepare fine paste of cinnamon by mixing it with water and apply it on the forehead and temple to obtain relief from headache.
- In skin rash and hives, cold water sponging is useful in relieving the symptoms.