The milk protein casein is known to cause allergic symptoms in many individuals. Casein allergy symptoms are first to be noted during infancy, when he is introduced with milk formulas. Casein allergy symptoms are first felt on skin immediately after consuming milk formulas. Children usually grow out of casein allergy after 5 years.
Symptoms Of Casein Allergy
Casein allergy symptoms can vary from one person to another, severe, mild and moderate in intensity. It occurs when immune system of an individual considers casein as harmful to the body, and releases histamine to cause following symptoms.
- Rash on face and other parts of body.
- Red face.
- Inflamed and red throat.
- Abdominal colic.
- Recurrent diarrhea.
- Runny nose
- Ear infection frequently.
- Cough and breathing problems.
- Anaphylactic reaction.
Skin, gastrointestinal tract and respiratory tract are the primary sites for casein allergy symptoms.
Casein allergy is often misdiagnosed with lactose intolerance. Therefore it is necessary to consult a physician before diagnosing casein allergy.
Casein Allergy Diagnosis And Diet
For diagnosing casein allergy an elimination of casein free food is advised for two weeks by the allergist.
Doctors determine casein allergy by doing blood test for detecting the antibodies to casein. In some cases skin test is also performed for confirming the diagnosis.
If you are allergic to casein, you have to avoid all forms of casein diet, such as milk, processed dairy foods, cheese, butter, and yogurt.
Instead of milk, add other nutrition to your diet to cover calcium deficiency and other nutrition deficiency with casein free diet; Green vegetables, broccoli, bok choy, almonds and soy milk and rice milk, unprocessed meat, cereals and grains etc.
Home Remedies For Casein And Milk Allergy
When the symptoms are mild to moderate certain home remedies for casein allergy symptoms are:
- Eczema: apply a paste prepared of 1 teaspoon camphor and 1 teaspoon sandalwood powder. Apply natural vitamin E, it will relieve itching caused due to ezema.
- Inflamed red throat: do salt water gargling twice in a day.
- Recurrent diarrhea: drink a glassful of pomegranate juice.
Casein Allergy Treatment
- Avoid casein containing food once you are diagnosed with casein allergy.
- With casein allergy symptoms, your doctor will prescribe medications to control the symptoms.
- Histamines are prescribed by the doctors for the allergy symptoms.
- In case of anaphylaxis reaction, your doctor may give you life saving drug and advise hospitalization.